Sump pump on/off question

Jul 24, 2016
Vacaville CA.
So I bought the little giant No. 6 series 1/3 hp pump. It comes with a float switch but I determined the pool level would have to rise and fall about 6 inches to activate the switch. This much travel to activate the switch is way too much. I want to pump water out of my pool when the level rises only 2 or 3 inches and have it shut off accordingly. The whole idea is I want to control my pool level without having to monitor it. I am gone from the house about 15 hours a day.

Dewayne,

I don't have an answer yet, but just trying to understand the problem. :confused:

I assume you don't have an overflow and just want to pump excess water overboard in case of rain??? Is this what you are trying to do, or have I missed the whole point altogether.

More info may spark some ideas from our other members...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I just want to automatically pump off excess water due to rain without having to monitor the pool level and shut on/off the pump manually. The float switch the pump comes with requires about 6 inches of travel to activate the switch on/off. I want to control the pool level within 1-2 or 3 inches max. One alternative I am considering is simply to install a timer. I will set the timer to the desired amount of time when I come home from work in the evening to drain off the excess water.

I would think you would be better off with a sump pump with a vertical float. Harbor freight sells a number of them. Then you can adjust the float and put the pump on a top step to have a tighter range of operation.

Good luck --

Here are a couple pictures of the float switch. Too late to return the pump as I bought it months ago and just stored it until now.
4836d75748ebc1fef9358d092e618b5e.jpg
80c4d772e197d6065fd852f6b4f96c63.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.