Do I need to clean and then close my swamp?

Ggrae

May 29, 2016
Shawnee, OK
I started the slam process awhile back and was making progress and then I had pump problems. Now $400 later I have a new motor on my pump but lost all progress to clean my pool. Now it’s time to close the pool. Do I clean it and then close? It is green you cannot see the bottom. Also if I’m going to slam even though I’ve read the process im not sure what to do about all the chemical levels. Do I get all of them right and then slam? Some of them seem counterproductive to each other.
Todays readings
Ch 200, fc .5, cc1.5, ph >8.2, ta 80, cya 20

I would suggest closing your pool algae free and clean. Much easier next spring when you open it. Do you completely close it, eg drain below returns, cover, etc?

You can SLAM Process with your current chemistry excluding pH which you should lower to 7.2 prior to SLAM. How did you get your test results? CYA of 20 is tough to measure.

Good luck.

I would suggest closing your pool algae free and clean. Much easier next spring when you open it. Do you completely close it, eg drain below returns, cover, etc?

You can SLAM Process with your current chemistry excluding pH which you should lower to 7.2 prior to SLAM. How did you get your test results? CYA of 20 is tough to measure.

Good luck.

Yes I drain it down and cover it. I have the tfttestkit that was suggested on this site. The cya tube has a 20 mark and I filled the tube till the black dot wasn't visible and that was the 20 mark.

Great. Proceed with your SLAM - use the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] after lowering your pH to 7.2. It may take a couple tries to get the pH down. Use muriatic acid and target 7.2 from 8.2, add the amount needed, let circulate for 30 minutes or so, re-test, and add acid again as necessary.

Take care.

Yes you can start your SLAM at pH 6.8.

You might want to narrow down your pool volume so that your chemical additions are more accurate.

Take care.

The easiest way is with PoolMath. Typically pH and acid dosing is the best. You take your current pH, add XX amount of acid based on your pool volume you use now to lower your pH by say 0.5. Once you add the acid, you circulate the pool for 30 minutes and then test your pH again. Take the value you measure, go back to PoolMath, and adjust your pool volume until you get the predicted pH drop to equal the actual.

You. of course, cannot do that now as you already have as low a pH as you want. You can sometimes do the same process with bleach, but that is less accurate as the bleach can vary quite a bit in concentration. And right now, you have algae which will consume the chlorine in the bleach very fast.

Take care.

Do your best to clean it up before closing but if you run into cold weather before you get the job done don't panic, the pool will survive. I bought a house that was in estate and disrepair and the in-ground pool was pitch black, bugs, toads, and the neighborhood kids had thrown bricks and stuff in there and it cleaned up in the springtime. It's surprising what chlorine, back-washing and brushing can do.

Mike.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.