Added Muriatic acid and my pumps worked better?

jhas

Jul 26, 2009
I am a newbie at pools just having bought a house with a pool. My pH was at 8.4 and I just added 1/2 gallon of 20 Baume muriatic acid to pool to lower pH. Strangely, my pump just perked up and is working much better. Any ideas? I thought perhaps my filter just got toasted and the resistance has decreased? or what? Any ideas? Curious to the answer? It is a filter cartridge as far as I know. Probably a dumb newbie question I know.

A couple of things. First welcome to TFP. :wave:

Second, tell us a bit more about your pool. You can fill in your signature by clicking the user control panel right under the big TFP logo on the top left of the page.

How did you add the acid? Did you pour it in at the return or add it in the skimmer?

You possibly cleared up some corrosion or scaling in the pump. but don't do it again... in general liquid chemicals should be poured slowly in front of a return with the pump running so they dilute asap.
--paulr

You did just what I suspected. As Paul said, DON'T do it again. {Edit> Muratic Acid should not be added to the skimmer <end edit} Hopefully all you did was clear up some scale or corrosion. That would make the pump work better. I'd check the filter if I were you just to make sure there's not some damage.

{edited to remove reference to chems allowed in skimmer} (thanks for the correction, Dave)

CYA is the only thing that should be added to the skimmer.
Just to head off another "urban legend" from developing, many on this forum add everything to the skimmer except muriatic acid.

That has been my procedure for five years, recommended by Ben Powell from the old PF and, assuming you aren't a dummy and glop everything in at once, it will work just fine.

Others take a more cautious approach and I respect that but it's not the only way to do it.

Did you happen to notice your filter pressure prior to adding the muriatic acid? A comparison of pre- and post MA addition might tell you something about any negative effects on your filter. In any event, you probably need to clean your filter anyway, just read and re-read the procedure in your manual carefully. If you didn't receive one with the house, check out the manufacturer's website where they are usually available.

Also, you may want to try adding only a cup or two of MA at a time and see how it affects you pH readings. A half-gallon is a lot to add at one time. I believe I've read that a large, fast drop in pH will result in a fast rise. It's better to add small amounts more frequently.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.