Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jelly in Skimmer Sock

1. Back To Top    #1

Jelly in Skimmer Sock

Since adding a skimmer sock about two months ago I have this jelly like substance in the sock whenever I clean it. It isn't sticky, just a clear jelly substance. Each time I clean the skimmer basket (every other day) I can get several tablespoons of this out of the sock. I'm glad it's not going into my filter whatever it is but would be interested to know what it is.

Only chemicals used in water are:

Muriatic Acid
    Cyanuric Acid
    Pool Perfect once a month (remove suntan lotions)

Water test results:

FC: 4
    CC: 0
    TA: 90
    Ph: 7.5
    CYA: 60
    CH: 570
    Salt: 3400

Thank you.
    15,000 gal Freeform Salt Water (SWG), Pebble Sheen with in floor cleaner. Hayward 1.5hp pump and 425sq ft Hayward Cartridge filter. 35sq ft Waterfall with separate 1.5hp Hayward Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Jelly in Skimmer Sock

Any baby diapers in this pool in the past? Those very absorbent types have a clear jelly that expands when wet. Goes from the size of a grain of salt to 1/4" round.

Also, some soil mixes contain the same stuff, Miracle Grow has one. If a planter fell over and spilled into the pool, that might be it.

I've never used floc but that'd be another guess.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Pool Perfect once a month (remove suntan lotions)
    Try eliminating that....adequate chlorine levels will get rid of the suntan oil.

It's certainly not either acid. I don't have any other idea but I'd start with the Pool Perfect.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    Any baby diapers in this pool in the past? Those very absorbent types have a clear jelly that expands when wet. Goes from the size of a grain of salt to 1/4" round.

Also, some soil mixes contain the same stuff, Miracle Grow has one. If a planter fell over and spilled into the pool, that might be it.

I've never used floc but that'd be another guess.
    Never had a child of diaper age in the pool. No planter has ever fallen into the pool. There are too large planter pots that sit right on the flagstone next to the pool but don't know of anytime the soil has got into the water.

Thanks for the ideas.
    15,000 gal Freeform Salt Water (SWG), Pebble Sheen with in floor cleaner. Hayward 1.5hp pump and 425sq ft Hayward Cartridge filter. 35sq ft Waterfall with separate 1.5hp Hayward Pump.