cold weather testing

jimim

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
NE/Pa
hey guys. so many have been helping me with my closing this winter. i thank you all for this!

becky from test kits wanted me to post this question.

i have been using the ph pen they sell. i noticed the other day that the pen ph was .4 off what i figured so i did the drop test. it was. so it got me thinking temp is playing a roll in this. i mean when u calibrate it you need the buffers to be a certain temp. becky did say yes this pen does not compensate for temp so my thinking was correct.

so now i'm thinking. i did some research here but a lot of the threads are old.

1. when water is below 60 degrees. are my FC powder drop test and ph drop test from test kit valid at pool low temp if done right out of pool?
2. TA and CH does temp of water matter for those tests from kit?
3. what about CYA?

i just want to make sure my numbers are valid cause i'm very worried about my ph and csi this winter when closed since plaster is new and it is still rising kinda quick.

thanks!

and again thanks to all helping me with my closing questions and worries!

jim

It has been shown that the CYA test is affected by temperature. It is advised to bring your sample inside for a bit to warm into the 70's when doing the CYA test.

To my knowledge, the other tests are not appreciably effected by the temperature of your pool water sample.

Take care.

ok thanks. i was thinking the same. am i correct that ph in colder water will be diff than in warmer water though? but test will still be accurate for that temp wit the taylor drop test kit?

jim

Water temp has an insignificant effect on pH readings.

This is from here, https://sciencing.com/effects-temperature-ph-water-6837207.html
EFFECT OF TEMPERATURE

Temperature will have a measurable yet very slight effect on the pH of water. In fact, pure water has a pH of exactly 7 only at 25 degrees Celsius, or 77 degrees Fahrenheit. As the water temperature goes up, pH goes down. The converse is also true: colder water has a higher pH value. At 60 degrees Celsius or 140 degrees Fahrenheit, pure water registers a pH value of 6.96. In other words, the change is very slight and cannot be registered with crude measurement techniques such as pH test strips.

i just want to make sure my numbers are valid cause i'm very worried about my ph and csi this winter when closed since plaster is new and it is still rising kinda quick.

If I may, let's address this as I'm guess this is the root concern. Keep in mind there will be a time in your area where you must close the pool and shut down all the pumps. When this happens it's risky to add chemicals. The good news however is that cold water slows down EVERYTHING including any major CSI changes. If you tinker with PoolMath some and adjust the pH with very low water temps you'll see the CSI tends to stay in range.

End of the day your pool will likey get covered by several inches of snow making it impossible to maintain anyways. Good news however is that same cold will help greatly slow down any reactions going on in your water.

Thanks everyone. When playing with numbers. Take a ch of 450. That is where it is now. Ta of 60. Cya of 60. Down to 40 degree water and a ph of 8.0 to 8.2 even the csi is negative .11 or somewhere close. I got wiggle room even.

I just learned yesterday from so many here that it isnt all. About the ph. That knocking it below 8.0 isn’t as impt as keepIng the csi in that -/+ .3 range.

Correct me if I’m wrong.

I can not not thank everyone here on this forum with all the help cause I have really been stressing about this the past many weeks. I’m going to let it ride as far into winter as possible. We close Friday. I will only drop acid in only if the csi goes into that .6 range before I start to really stress out.

Everyone here again i thank thank you all!

jim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.