Frame set pool and solar panel

kimrst

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
West Michigan
Each year we set up my frame set pool in our yard and mostly enjoy it. But it isn't very warm, perhaps because of the lack of direct sun? Would it be worth it to get a set of solar panels to add some heat? Has anyone added these to a frame or easy set pool? How did you do it? We have a solar cover that we use during the night to keep the heat in that is there. DH is willing to give it a try if I really want to get some off ebay. I think I wouldn't need many for my 18' by 48" deep round pool.

kimrst said:
But it isn't very warm, perhaps because of the lack of direct sun? Would it be worth it to get a set of solar panels to add some heat?

How close/far is the nearest area that gets good sunlight from your pool?

Where are you located?

What temperature does your pool warm up to? and how much higher would you want to get your temp?

take care,
dan

We live in SW Michigan, Once we got up to 85. I don''t think, it was that warm often, but on a hot sunny day, after a long day at work, a cool pool with a floaty and a beverage is awesome, even if it has to be a frame pool. Part of the pool ends up in the shade, but the garage roof has sun all day. So I'm thinking that a 2x20 solar panel off ebay might just do the trick? The garage and the pool are about 12 feet apart. Thanks for the help.. Kimrst

The usual recommendation is that the solar array be around half the surface area of your pool, in which case you'd need three or four of those 2x20 panels.

(9**2 x 3.14) = 254 sq ft (approx) is the surface area of your pool; each 2x20 panel is 40 sq ft.

Even one panel would give you warmer water. You would probably have pump issues, especially if you try to put the panel on the roof. Most AG pools have the panel on a rack or on the ground near the pool.

Get a cheap one on eBay and give it a shot.

How big is that pool? We had one panel on a 18' Easy set years ago and it made a very big difference. The trick is making sure the smaller pump that comes with those pools does not have to work too much to take care of the panel. Keep it close by and don't make it pump the water up to a roof. Keep your solar cover to keep the heat in you make with the panel - you will really enjoy it and it will be worth every penny.

Thanks everyone for the replys. I think its time to talk to the neigbors and get out the chain saw. Just trimming some of the trees that border us and our neighbors might make enough room to get the solar panels near the pool and neaten up the yard. We have a DS who is having a HS grad party June 9th so only the most important projects are happening right now. I want the pool up and running, the solar panels will have to wait till after the party, besides we need the yard for the picnic and the grilling. Thanks..Kimrst

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.