Re: Nature2 Mineral Sanitizer

WRC

Oct 20, 2017
Franklin, TN

Everything I have read here about using the Fusion Chlorinator and the chlorine pucks has me confused. We have just completed our fourth season enjoying our gunite in ground pool and have had absolutely no problems with algae or any other water issue with our pool. While the seal on the chlorinator cap can be frustrating getting it back in the proper place, we have found that keeping it lubricated really helps and after a while you can perfect the technique of replacing the cap so you get it right the first time. So I cannot understand all the conversation about using this product or the chlorine pucks. Our pool is about 27,000 gallons, has self cleaning system and cartridge filter system, which we remove and clean thoroughly every six months. Frankly this has been the easiest pool to maintain that we have ever had.

Great to hear it works for you, for now. I hope you are testing and making sure your pool is sanitary not just algae free. Two different things.

In the long run, the use of solid chlorine products and mineral (copper) additives tend to build up and that is what drives the majority of people to this forum.

Take care.

WRC,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all pools owners no matter how they sanitize their water.. :shark:

If it works for you that is great... But, our recommendations are based on our history with how these systems work on thousands of pools, not just one of them.

Some questions for you, if you are interested...

What is your current FC (Chlorine) level?

What is your current CYA (Stablizer) level?

Do you "shock" your pool on a weekly or semi-weekly basis with powered pool shock?

Do you close your pool in the winter (Drain below the skimmers and add a cover)?

When you come in after swimming and take your suit off, does it smell like a public pool?

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

The products you are using work. Of that, there can be no argument.

The problem with those products is that the active ingredients build up in your water, but the most important ingredient ( chlorine) gets used up doing its job of sanitizing your water. So, that leaves you needling more of the chlorine, but less of the "other" ingredients. This cycle continues until the "other" stuff blocks the chlorine from working and... Boom... Algae. The pool store guys call this chlorine lock, not really true, its really more like chlorine block.

It WILL happen eventually.

That's when you will be back, and we will welcome you with open arms.

WRC, Like you I have the A&A in floor cleaning system. I love this system ! It keeps our pool spotless and well circulated. Like others have said about the chlorine pucks, you'll regret them after a season and they cause a lot of problems. The 3 main things you need is liquid chlorine or bleach, baking soda and Muriatic acid. All which are cheap and readily available. The best thing is they'll save you even more money down the road and you won't have all the extra additives in those chemicals from the pucks and shock building up in your pool. Save your money for some pool accessories or outdoor speakers!

A few things to consider are if the OP is closing their pool seasonally and their rainfall. We can see they live in a marginal environment so they may be closing. Their location has two effects, potential seasonal closing which drains 20-40% of the pool volume annually and their average annual rainfall which is 53 inches per year. Both of these help mitigate issues with pucks (though I still can't recommend them because they require variable FC levels throughout the season). As for minerals, that's one I'd never entertain.

As mentioned above, knowing what you put in to your pool and why is our philosophy. From their several directions can be taken with some being more troublesome, which obviously, we try to avoid.

I had the Frog System. Currently cut out and for sale on LetGo! When I worked the numbers, between the mineralizer ($90 a season), the small canister tablets (same as pucks), but fit the system (another $12-15 a shot) that lasted literally 7 days. The pool store would tell me to lower the levels as they are too high and bam (algae) on walls. Shock the pool and more $$ out of my pocket. Then they gave you an algaecide that guaranteed no algae for 90 days (still contains metals). Even with all this, the first 6 months proved algae with levels of .5 to 1 ppm (recommended by pool store) and CYA of 50 to 60 (because I used so many tablets). Let alone they kept recommending Phos Free, non-chlorine shock, chlorine shock, etc.

The first year cost was around $500, if not more in Nature 2 Frog parts, etc. Next year I switched over (total cost $250 max) and never saw a trace of algae again. Now I have an SWG, which was worth the extra funds up front.

Not that some people do not have success with the system, but the disadvantages truly outweigh the advantages with this type of system. Tablets, of course have a place and time, but is really for the short term.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.