Pool losing water but no leaks found

b8s2

Jun 23, 2016
biloxi, ms
My small (approx. 5K gal.) IG fiberglass pool is losing water at a rate of about 4" in 24 hours. A leak detection company check the pool and all the lines and the only leak found was behind the light. A company came out and replaced the light (which needed replacing) and used a marine grade epoxy to seal the leak. It is no longer leaking according to a dye test. The pool is still losing water--regardless if the pump is on or off. Can the issue be at pump or filter? (I don't see standing water there. It is usually a little damp but that can easily be the sprinklers and shade.) I read that sometimes the backwash line can be leaking even when the pump is on filter. Is that a possibility? We don't have to hook up a backwash hose as it is piped. I don't know where it goes as we are just renting the house. However, there is a spot in the yard about 30 yards from the pump that is always very wet. We are completely perplexed here. Any ideas what could be causing it? I appreciate any help!

However, there is a spot in the yard about 30 yards from the pump that is always very wet.

You most likely have your answer. What exits at that spot? The multiport valve has the potential for a failed gasket that will let water out the backwash line.

Is your equipment above or below your water level in the pool?

Can you add a signature? See Pool School - Getting Started

Take care.

Yes, backwash ports can leak, some ppl have plumbed a valve in there but you need to always remember open it before backwashing or it can be trouble. I've seen pools leak detected several times with supposed repairs done and yet leaking still occurred only to have a different company come and fix yet another spot.

check all the simple spots yourself, undo whatever is on the backwash port, visually inspect it to check, check all connections going from pump to pool and back.

Thanks. The equipment is above the water level in the pool. I'm not sure why that area is always wet. It is near the area where all my utility boxes area (power, cable, sprinkler system control, etc.) I honestly have no idea where the exit for the backwash might be--maybe straight to the drains at the street. My pool repair guy is coming back out today. I will have him check the gasket on the multiport valve.

Thank you. The pool repair company is coming back out today. I texted him about the backwash port and asked if he would check the valves and multiport gasket. His company does leak detection and pool repair so if he doesn't find anything, he'll likely repeat the tests that American Leak Detection did. Thank you for your help!

- - - Updated - - -

Would a failed gasket at the multiport or a backwash valve leak even when the pump is not running? It lost 1.5 inches last night with the pump off.

Would a failed gasket at the multiport or a backwash valve leak even when the pump is not running? It lost 1.5 inches last night with the pump off.

Possibly, if it can maintain a siphon. Is the leak at a different rate with pump on vs off?

Good luck.

The loss rate is about the same rate though it maybe just a little bit less when the pump is off. The pump ran from 6 am to 7:45 pm and the pool lost about 3" of water. From 7:45 pm to 5:45 am it lost about an 1.5-1.75". I am scratching my head trying to figure out where this water going if there are no leaks in the lines, skimmer or behind the light.

Good luck on the leak detection. If the leak is worse with the pump off could point toward the multivalve.

Why are you running your pump so much? You show a single speed pump. Lots of electricity use if so. Even if you have a SWCG (you do not list it) you at best only need to run it a few hours a day unless you have a very high debris load and must skim.

See Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.