Pls Help: Major Problems after 5 Yrs of a Trouble-Free Pool

Catherine_B said:
Well guess what, there's no sewer. I'm out in the woods here and on septic!

I checked out that test, thanks very much. One thing I learned today is that refills will be a fact of life when converting. Can anyone recommend how much refill product I should plan to order? No point in skimping and running out partway through - like the bleach I've already wasted starting and stopping this season. (Or I can ask the company at ordering time.)

If I had a choice - I'd prefer to clean up the pool in August over dumping it, for the reasons already given. (Does anyone know if the algicide I used will slow up the conversion, please? It was about 16-20 ounces, dark blue, from home depot, and cost $18. A half bottle was supposed to clean up a 10,000 gal pool, and if not, the 2nd half promised to. [NOT])

What is my best option for testing for ph? I'd be so glad if I could get converted for no more than $200 more this year, if anyone has an idea on how much bleach to plan for. Since I'll barely be able to swim, if at all! I'm already down about $400 (new motor/cart filter, stupid turbo turtle parts that don't work, bleach I wasted, 2 gals baqua shock, etc.). Painful!

The website for the test kit lists a phone number. It comes with a good amount of testing supplies but it wouldn't hurt to ask questions to be sure. Algaecide shouldn't make any difference. It doesn't have a very long life and it is used frequently with chlorine products. If I remember correctly you just don't add them to the water within minutes of each other. If there is a pool store nearby that sells liquid chlorine find out what strength it is and how much it costs. My local pool store sells liquid chlorine 10% strength at $15 for 4 one gallon bottles. I used my paltry math skills to figure cost per quart, since I buy 6% bleach in 3 quart bottles for $1.50 a bottle. You can use the pool calculator to plug in the different strengths of bleach and see what is most cost effective for you.

Thanks, folks. The stories I read, it seems to take 2 weeks. Yes, the baqua thread will be better. I had SO many issues to ask about initially and did not know where to begin. After reading these replies today, I feel a bit more sorted out and more knowledgeable about tackling this project.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.