neighbor with seeping open wound

Jun 25, 2009
Loogootee, IN
I didn't know where to post this, so Mods, feel free to move or refer me to the right area.

After 4 days of stormy/chilly weather, we are having the perfect day. Myself with the wife and our two girls (4 and 3yrs) are having a barbecue and swimming. A 8yr old girl from the next block over came by to play with our oldest, and had permission to swim as well. We had been in the pool off and on for the last 2hrs. when my wife noticed a red gash/open cut on the girl's foot. and it was oozing!

When asked, she said that she had stepped on a piece of glass last weekend at her dad's house.

it is obviously infected due to the puffiness and the yellowish clear seepage. I took her home to her mom's house, and she acted as if she didn't know anything about it, and started yelling at her wanting to know why she didn't tell her about it, then proceeded to tell me all the negative things about her ex husband.

Should I keep everyone out of the pool for the rest of the beautiful day and shock it? The FC was at 3 and I have raised it to 5. What should I do to attempt to salvage the day?

Or am I just over reacting?

You did the right thing by raising the FC to 5. I don't know what your CYA level is but I'd raise the FC to the top of the recommended range for your CYA level. Wait an hour and it'll be fine to swim. I probably would raise to shock level overnight after everyone's out of the pool.

If 5 is the high end of your range, I'd do at least that. You can go up to shock level and still swim so were it me, I'd probably go nearly to shock level if I had the bleach to do it. Probably no need to keep it a shock level for any long period of time, but a one time bump up seems reasonable.

This is why I like to keep cal-hypo on hand, so I could raise chlorine a lot for a quick event.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.