converting soon

Replaced my skimmer line, removed the baquacil tab holder that is used to for clarifying tabs or whatever you call them, never used them. Vola, water mold........don't know if its dead or living from earlier this year oh well bucket of bleach and water (gonna be dead in a minute. HA), scrubbed clean, soaked, cleaned gaskets then left in the open position so water would flow through it, ok part of the problem, well maybe we will see. Backwash for about 1 minute.

Just tested the water. 0 ppm of chlorine and CC = 1.5

Man the sun and heat really ate up all the bleach from this morning, will wait another hour so the sun has time time move off a little before I top off to 15 again, and then we can only hope that this time we can keep the chlorine, I want to finish this.

Pool is like glass, unfortunately still not ready for swimming as you have been following.

FT,

I would suggest you do an overnight FC loss test to see how that comes out.

1. Bring your FC up to around 15ppm just as the sun goes down or close to that.

2. Then let circulate for at least a couple of hours....say 'til around 9:00pm

3. Do an FC test....disregard CC's

4. Tomorrow before the sun hits the pool, do another FC test and post the 9:00PM result and the early AM result.

Wow! That is one clear pool.

What I'm hoping for is a very minimal overnight FC loss. That would indicate to me that your remaining CC's are in the filter and you can clean it out, change the sand, add CYA and start swimming.

Shoot, I forgot a very important thing......after you take the first evening test, turn your pump off and don't restart it until you complete the AM FC test. That'll pretty much eliminate the filter from the equation and we can determine with some accuaracy that the remaining problem is within the filter.

Well, I am scratching my head.

put in about 2.5 bottles at 630pm yesterday and checked every hour it maintained 16ppm or 17 ppm until 2300 last night when I did my last reading, I shut the pump off.

This morning at 0630am I did 2 test to make sure and both were at 12 ppm, different areas of the pool. I also had those dark green flecks/lines in different areas of the pool again. As you saw the pool is crystal clear so where are these flakes coming from or should I say starting from. Topped it off to 15 ppm by adding 83 oz of bleach.

So what next, well when I get home today all that I can do that is left is to get in the pool and scrub the inside again real good, then top it off agan when the sun goes down.

Only places I havent scrubbed real good in the pool would be behind the skimmer plate, Which I might be able to take off if the wife holds the other side to the pool temporarily and scrub down with bleach and behind the return inlet?

I can also drain the pump and replace the Sand, scrub it with bleach water, not that hard or do you think its to early for that. I'm at a loss here, all seems to be going as planned up to this point.

I'm scratching my head a little, too. However, let's go back and review why chlorine goes away in a pool......it's sunlight and organics.

We eliminated the sunlight last night and (sort of) eliminated any remaining organics in your filter so we are left with the somewhat inescapable result that organics are still in your pool. Bummer.

At this point, you have little else to do but stay the course. I would suggest a morning dose of 15 and then an evening dose of 15 until you turn that last corner. The overnight FC loss test you just did is the best indicator of your progress. I would perform another one in 48 hours. (I'm not selling, but are you keeping an eye on your reagents? You may be very low on R-0871...the FC drops. The overnite test is impossible without it)

The dark green lines you see (I assume they are on the bottom) have to be the dead algae/organics that the chlorine is killing. (Yes, it can easily be invisible while it's alive).

I see no reason why you cannot swim in your pool if you are anxious to enjoy it the last few weeks of the summer. The additional organics added will be very minor and, if it were me, I'd get in. Some folks caution against swim suits fading but that has never been documented on this forum for an outdoor pool.

Keep up your good work and your patience. This process works if you just stick with it. :-D

Thanks Dave, I'm wondering if it is Mustard Algae that I am fighting, when I started this I really never had a cloudy pool, as from the first pictures you can see the brown/green stuff on the bottom of the pool pretty bad, now I have pretty much converted and am at the end but still having spots on the bottom although very few considering. I plan on taking a brush and get in behind the skimmer plate and anywhere else the stuff may be hiding, after that I am wondering if I should take my FC level up even higher for a day or so. Reason I ask this is that stuff that I have read says that mustard is hard to kill and you need to use higher doses, what do you think?

Swimming is not the issue at this point although I will let the wife know she can swim in the afternoon after the burnoff if she likes, plus it is supposed to be overcase and rainy for the next couple of days, well the weather man said so, we all know what that means, LOL, probably 100 degrees clear skies.

Anyway what do you think, should I take it up a bit for a day or so, and brush it down real good?

My testing bottles are good so far, I expected to use alot based on comments and a question I had about that so I ordered 2 extra 0870 and 0871 containers, still have a little left in the second bottle and will start on the second of the powder I'm sure tonight.

No kind of algae can survive the FC levels used during a baquacil conversion. Sometimes there is stuff growing in the plumbing that gets washed out and settles on the bottom of the pool when it dies.

Your process is taking just slightly longer than average, but is hardly unusual. You just need to keep at it until the overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 or less.

I don't think it's been that long...only a week. Typical, I think. You're just anxious to have it done. You're doing fine, it's this stage of the conversion that's the hardest, as you need the most POP during this time. :wink: Hang in there!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well measured when I got home yesterday and of course my FC was 0 ppm due to all the sun, but it did become overcast so I cleaned around the skimmer plate and return, swept the bottom of the pool again. got the FC up to 15, it started raining as expected. I measured last night at about 2230 and it measured 16ppm. Measured this morning at 0630 and it measured at 12ppm, so I still got some stuff in the water. Will try again tonight.

WooHoo, yeah baby......

Topped it off yesterday at abouy 1830 to get it back up to 15ppm and it stayed up there when I tested again at 2230 and this morning only a loss of 1ppm.......if that. And my CC = 1 so it came down to a relitivally good number. So we are good to go, when I get home from work I will replace the Sand in the Sand Filter and scrub it down with some bleach just in case, should only take about 30 minutes, then I will be putting in the stabalizer.

Ok got two questions, stabalizer should be 30-60 what do you recommend, I was thinking 40?

Second putting it in a sock and putting it infront of the return or putting it in the skimmer? Have heard different theories from you all. And what type of sock just a basic Gym Sock?

The rest is understood so far, put the stabalizer in and hold my FC at 15 until my CC=.5 then let it come down to my target number which i think will be 4 or 5.

Nice work, FT,

Frustrating at the end, I know, but you will now reap the rewards

40 is a nice spot to park your CYA......it's easy to add, very hard to subtract it from your pool.

I've always done the CYA in the skimmer but, if I remember, you have to change out your filter media, don't you?. In that case the sock makes more sense. Others with experience will advise what kind of sock.

You will have a target range rather than a speciific number. For 40 CYA, I believe 3-5ppm is suggested (I'm too lazy to look it up :oops: )

So, test in the evening and bring it up to say around 5ppm. Next evening do the same. In a day or two, you will find your FC consumption very stable abd you will probably not need to test....just put in XXX ounces, like the night before.

Congratulations. :-D

Gym sock is fine :wink: Change the filter media first....

My personal preference is in front of the return, but every pool is different (I tried the skimmer and it didn't dissolve there, it dissolved quicker dangling in the flow of water.) Make sure you leave the pump running while it dissolves completely, then wait 5-7 days before you test for it. But after 24 hours, assume that what you added is there and adjust the FC according to the chart.

Congrats :whoot:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.