CircuPool RJ-45 vs. CircuPool Universal 40

Seadweller

Aug 21, 2009
Tampa Bay Area
Both units output 2lbs/day, which according to CircuPool, is more than sufficient for my pool.

I typically prefer a simple execution of things, particularly when it comes to electronics, so I'm wondering what the benefit(s) would be of going with the RJ-45 over the Universal 40? I don't necessarily require a bunch of bells and whistles with a salt system, but rather a system that provides the basic function of chlorinating the pool. I did notice that the Universal 40 seems to have a variable output, rather than the fixed outputs at 25% gradations that many other basic systems have.

Does the RJ-45 have any features I will miss, or will the Universal 40 provide for my basic needs of simplicity?

I haven’t looked at the universal 40 but I have looked at the the 45 which I intend to buy. Finally understood to ignore the name and look purely at the chlorine produced daily if run at max 24 hours.

I noticed two things about the rj, first it has a flow switch (the sj series does not, dunno about the universal), also the diagnostic info just has more info. I don’t own either but aiming at the rj.

The Universal 40 has the lowest rated lifespan, 10,000 hours, compared to 11,500 hours for the RJ and 15,000 hours for the RJ+ cells. The warranty time spans are different also matching the expected cell life.

It seems they have the same controls but in a different box.

I almost always recommend circupool, DIY does not void your warranty..

I like a basic SWG, they just work and when they do not I can troubleshoot it down to a couple things, the SJ fits this bill.... it is always on and adjusts the power output when you change the percentage, the SJ does 25% increments..

The RJ has all the bells and whistles and if you need or want that then this is your SWG, it is adjusted by time so it will turn on and off by the time you have set, it can also be adjusted by 10% increments...

I hope this helps :)

I like a basic SWG, they just work and when they do not I can troubleshoot it down to a couple things, the SJ fits this bill....

Thanks, it seems the RJ-45 and Universal 40 may be similar units in different enclosures as mentioned above, with the RJ-45 having an upgraded cell, and the RJ-45+ getting an additional upgrade on the cell. According to the CircuPool website, the Universal 40 is rated up to a 45,000 gallon pool, the same as the RJ-45. Maybe the Universal 40 is like a car with manual A/C controls and manual windows, whereas the RJ-45 is the version with climate control and power windows. I can manage a 10,000 hour cell life. I consider the initial investment the chains coming off my dependence on bleach, which is worth every penny. Even if I had to replace a cell every year, it's 1/3rd what I'm currently spending on pool chemicals. If it lasts two years, I'm way ahead of the curve.

Nailed it, upgraded version with a better cell :) Just an FYI, mine is going on 4 years running 10 months a year keeping my free chlorine between 5 and 10 running 6 to 10 hours a day depending on season...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.