LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2011
St. Paul, MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I know this has been discussed before for traditional pumps, but haven't seen anything for variable speed.

Is there a big benefit to storing my variable speed pump indoors during the Minnesota winter?

I would think it would be the same as any pump- protection from long months against the elements. Especially in your climate. How do you feel about multiple feet of snow sitting on the electrical elements....? Too much cost in those things for me to risk (assuming I had one, lol)

Maddie :flower:

I ended up taking it inside yesterday. It only took 5-10 minutes. That's good advice about capping the lines. I taped some plastic over the lines, but thinking about it more it's probably best to get a couple PVC caps for the union fittings.

I pull MY pump, and it's not a VSP. I have PVC caps that I can put unions on to keep the critters out, and I have an outlet / recepticle rated for 240V 20Amps for pool power. This thread reminded me - While i did close the pool last weekend, I DID NOT pull the pump yet, also need more stakes on the pool cover.

Tin foil and rubber bands is plenty for capping the lines. Rodents for the most part hate tinfoil and won't go out of their way to chew thru it.

Oh and I pull my pump in the winter. It would probably be fine outside but it's an easy thing to do and gives me a piece of mind thru the nasty winter weather.

I remove my pump, chlorinator and use rubber plugs to seal the pipes.

The electronic control boards on the VSP's often get corrosion on the underside and can fail.

For the 15 minutes it takes me to remove and walk into my pool house its worth the time.

Nothing does well outside in harsh winter conditions except rocks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.