Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter Drain Plug Hose?

anj109

Jul 28, 2017
Philadelphia
Does anyone know if they make a drain plug hose for this filter? Can't seem to find one anywhere online. Need to drain my filter tomorrow and it's in a pool room attached to my house that I don't really want to flood. It can be flooded but I'd rather not.

Or does anyone know of another way that I can drain my filter besides the drain plug? Using the pump and back-washing possibly?

Thanks!

I always had the same problem...filter is in a now-finished pool house.

I bought clear tubing from Lowes and duct taped it to my shop vac and attempted drain that way...inevitably the drain still leaked onto floor, so then I put a shallow tinfoil pan below it and siphoned the water out using the extended shop vac hose that way ;) It more or less worked in that only a bit got on the floor. But painstaking.

I don't close anymore because I now have a winter dome. If I still closed, I'd go to Lowes with the plug and look for a threaded PVC fitting the same size and then attach the clear tubing with a hose clamp or barb, then tape the tube inside the shop vac hose. Let us know if you find the right size ;)

Assuming you have an IG pool, the filter should be the highest point in the system. Simply open the air release valve and the vast majority of the water will drain back to the pool. Then get a shallow pan to put under the drain plug and you should be able to drain the rest.

I always had the same problem...filter is in a now-finished pool house.

I bought clear tubing from Lowes and duct taped it to my shop vac and attempted drain that way...inevitably the drain still leaked onto floor, so then I put a shallow tinfoil pan below it and siphoned the water out using the extended shop vac hose that way ;) It more or less worked in that only a bit got on the floor. But painstaking.

I don't close anymore because I now have a winter dome. If I still closed, I'd go to Lowes with the plug and look for a threaded PVC fitting the same size and then attach the clear tubing with a hose clamp or barb, then tape the tube inside the shop vac hose. Let us know if you find the right size ;)

Thank you for the tips. I think I'm going to rig something up like this for next year :)

Assuming you have an IG pool, the filter should be the highest point in the system. Simply open the air release valve and the vast majority of the water will drain back to the pool. Then get a shallow pan to put under the drain plug and you should be able to drain the rest.

Thanks but how do I open the air release valve? Sorry, only my 2nd season owning a pool :)

If you are blowing the lines, blow it from the return side of Pump and into filter, leaving filter on filter mode will remove all the water above the laterals, then once you remove filter plug there is very little that comes out. A small pan can catch it before it makes a mess.

^i wish I'd known that a few years ago. The pool techs must have blown the lines backwards because inevitably I'd get at least two big shop vacs full of water every year ;) But they were only removing the drain plug after everything was closed, including the multiport!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.