Soda made water so cloudy! Help

Jun 5, 2009
I drained and refilled because of high CYA (pre Pool School problem)
Then I had no CYA, so I have been chlorinating/adding CYA with Dichlor
and I was getting into Low pH (not unexpected). Our pool does have a lot of aeration

last night with a pH of 7.1, I added 50 oz of Washing Soda (A+H) as calculated by the Pool Calculator

Today = super cloudy, clarity only about 12"!!!!
Todays Numbers:

pH 7.8 (a little higher than I wanted but OK, I'll need more Dichlor soon enough)
TA 100
CH 110
FC 4
CC 0
Temp 85F

I took the pump off the timer and I am letting it run.

Can I do anything else??

CYA has slowly been adding up, its over 10 now, and I have been testing at least once per day. I wanted to use the Dichlor I already owned to letthe CYA build up slowly rather than buy something else.

I think its soda cloudy - its very very white, and before I added the soda it was so clear, I could see every imperfection in the fiberglass! Maybe its the Arm and Hammer Washing Soda? I have used Borax in the past and never had this problem.

Should I ever worry about too high Borate? is there a test?

I think its a little better since I took the cover off and turned the filters on about an hour ago - I am hoping it just needs more time to circulate because our system is extremely inefficient - no main drain and the skimmer and return are about 18" apart. I will give it a few more hours before panicking again

For the water to cloudy because of the washing soda addition, you would either have had to have added some other chemical other than washing soda (which is easy to mix up with arm and hammer washing machine detergent), or your water test results need to be way way off.

Borates would not have any significant impact on this situation.

Assuming your PH, TA, and/or CH test results are drastically wrong, and the cloudiness is very white, then you need to add some muriatic acid to bring the PH down. But as I said, that only make sense if your test results are way way off.

I dug the box out of recycling: Arm and Hammer All Natural Super Washing Soda (Detergent Booster & Household Cleaner).
The word detergent is in there to confuse but I am 99% sure that it was the right thing.

From now on, I will stick to Borax. I was just worried that I could end up with MORE than 50 ppm Borates if I used Borax regularly.

The water is definitely clearing now - my heart rate is returning to normal

I wish it aerated better so pH could rise without adding any sodas, but I am hoping that once I am done with Dichlor and I have 30 CYA in the pool, I can just use bleach and my pH will more be stable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.