Mixed bag of closing questions

I'm getting ready for my first closing, there are a few things I'm unsure of:

• I believe my pool is marbelite, have heard this surface is meant to remain submerged. Do I need to raise the water level after closing or will safety cover run-off handle this over the closure period?
  • Previous closing / opening was handled by same local pool co. They emptied my spillover spa and plugged the bottom drain then refilled. At opening they didn't remove the plug (it's still there). Should I close the spa the same way? Seems dumb to have to empty in the spring to remove plug & refill but I will if recommended.
  • Is there such a thing as too much chlorine at closing? I have high CYA & persistent algae so was planning to add two extra 10L jugs of 12% just in case.

Thanks as always for helping to ease my mind!

I will answer a few questions:

•Is there such a thing as too much chlorine at closing? I have high CYA & persistent algae so was planning to add two extra 10L jugs of 12% just in case.

You should only have at most, a FC level based on your CYA. Pool School - Recommended Levels If you have persistent algae, then your chemistry is off, could have a circulation problem and/or you will need to increase the brushing of pool walls and floors during each week and season. In addition, what test kit are you using as you are located in Canada.

Should I close the spa the same way?

If this is what worked for the pool closing company, then I see no need to try to alter the method. I would follow the same method as company who closed your pool.

Your algae issue needs to be address for next year and this will require draining and filling some water. There are some test kits that I believe are recommended for Canada. If you do a search, there should be some solutions. Proper testing and recommended CYA levels are important to maintain a trouble free pool.

Thank you, I plan to close more or less as the pool company did. I'm a bit concerned about the main drain line but I will shop-vac and then use foam rope to be safe.

I have a Taylor test kit on order, just need to pick it up at the border one of these days. I know I need one if I want the full TFP experience next summer!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.