Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi,
I converted my pool to salt in the spring and everything has been operating normal chlorine is producing and holding good. However, I started developing a light brown/tan staining around the bowl and sides of the deep end that won't brush off. They are also visible around the swim out of the deep end and there are a few spots around shallow end.

I am wonder if I should be using some different type of stain and scale treatment with the salt water. I see that there are several products available just for salt water pools in regards to maintenance and staining.
Is there common or preferred one being used by the majority? Any ideas on my staining problem?

I tried the Jack's Magic stain test kit and it appears that the Stain Solution #2 (Iron, Cobalt & Spot etching lighted the stains on the swim out. My water has been checked for mineral and none found or only very light trace of copper.

My second problem is the PH is will not stay in range climbs above 8.0 every week. Is this common with salt?

Thanks!

Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. Jack's Magic Purple Stuff is especially formulated for SWG pools, but it is only just slightly better than the others in the same family of chemicals.

It is important that you keep your PH below 8.0 if at all possible. Lowering your TA is one way to make that simpler. If you post a full set of water test results we can give you specific advice about how to balance your water so the PH does not rise at all quickly.

If I am remembering correctly, your Jack's test indicates that ascorbic acid or citric acid will work on your stain. You can double check that by holding a vitamin C tablet against the stain for 30 seconds and see if it has any effect. If that works you should treat the stains as described in this topic.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.