Jul 26, 2009
Just wanted to say Hi. I have been at this site all am trying to find answers. I have read your info and had my 14 yr old daughter read as well( husband is deployed and doing this on ourown)
we live in Louisiana and it is hot and we need a pool!!!
So.. will post all my info when I get back from Walmart buying bleach as my water is clear but it is green clear! IKES!

ok well we are on a septic tank, heres. BUT I have to add that our walls and bottom was slimy, which after we scrubbed it seems to be better. We do have the 6 test kit from Walmart, but I will get the better kit now that I know about it. I also went and got bleach.
so I will follow all the steps on here and come back and update

TizMe said:
Welcome ! :wave:

When you talk to your husband again tell him we THANK HIM FOR HIS SERVICE!

I sure will and THANK you for taking your time to write that!!

UPDATE:
I am so not a chemist and trying to understand all this testing and all
so my daughter did all the testing and this is what we came up with
FC: 4
Bomine 6
TA 200ppm
p.h 7.6
Harness 100 ppm
CYA 42
so it seems like yes, we have metals in the water and now back to the drawing board on how to control that..

also need to add that our pool is 24 foot round by 54 inches deep
I need to pull the rest of my manuals out to get the rest of the informatin that is needed

TizMe said:
Your welcome. We need to support our military as often as we possible can !! I can assume by your user name your husband is in the Army? Sorry I don mean to be taking from your posts ....

Well we appreciate your support. I agree we need as much as we can get. My husband is a former marine for 5 years and than joined the army. He has been in 18 years.

Hi tankerzangel,

Since you are using chlorine, ignore the bromine side of the scale.

Always keep your FC above the minimun for your CYA level. See the Chlorine/CYA Chart (in my sig & Pool School)
Your FC range is about 3 minimum to 7 target.

Use Jason's Pool Calculator to help you with chemicals.

Here is an article on Metals in the Water......
You can have your water (pool water and fill water) tested for metals. A sequesterant is used to keep metals under control.

When you get all your pool and equipment specs available, please add them to your signature.
Go to User Control Panel (upper left under TFP logo), select Profile, then Edit sig.
This is very helpful for folks helping you with any problems. :wink:

Welcome to the forum :wave:

tankerzangel said:
ok well we are on a septic tank, heres. BUT I have to add that our walls and bottom was slimy, which after we scrubbed it seems to be better. We do have the 6 test kit from Walmart, but I will get the better kit now that I know about it. I also went and got bleach.
so I will follow all the steps on here and come back and update

based on this alone I would say you definitely have algae and need to be shocking per the instructions in pool school. also, bromine should always be double the chlorine reading, so there is some testing error going on. (bromine is irrelevant since you don't use bromine, but nonetheless it should still show as 8 if your fc is 4.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.