Do Loop Loc winter covers require more chemicals over winter?

bostonpool

May 29, 2017
Worcester, MA
Well, my pool is closed.

Pool store guys came out and put in my brand new Loop Loc cover. The previous Loop Loc was 17 years old and beyond repair (thank you, previous owners, for not disclosing this when we bought the house. $$$$$)

Anyway, I had the pool chemistry right where it was supposed to be before closing, thanks to everyone on here.

But my pool store guy said the Loop Loc covers "breathe" and will therefore lose FC over time, so he recommends I periodically go in and add some shock, etc, and brush. Say 2-3 times over the winter (November, March, etc.)

Thoughts on this?

Well sure! If you have access.

But you'll find that chlorine lasts a lot longer in cold water... in your neck of the woods I'd venture to guess you might only need to add something once in a blue moon. Test it about once a month in cold NE weather and treat accordingly. If you add some bleach you will need to be able to mix it up a bit using a broom or something since your equipment is offline.

I'm sure it will make opening in the spring a breeze as your water won't have been entirely untouched those months under cover.

Maddie :flower:

Bostonpool:

Adding chlorine in the winter is a great idea as Maddie suggested, if you have the ability to mix it. Given the weather moving forward, IMHO, I feel the potential problem may exist if you open up late in 2018. Depending on where you left off, the FC levels will hang around for a while. It is recommended that you open at least one month before memorial day as this will help. Even if you have a small problem, cleaning up will not take long, in the early spring.

EDIT:

Worcester, MA is a nice area. My first company, outside Prudential was located in town. The State Mutual Companies, who later changed the name to Allmerica Financial. Eventually they shut down in 2004.

I just had my first year pool closed last week, installed with Loop-loc solid cover. The pool builder said I should have no issues regarding water issues, since I have the proper cover, along with no overhanging trees.

I did purchase a Hayward 1hp pump to use to circulate the water when adding any additional chlorine, that I might need to add in the coming winter months, if FC is not up to par.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.