8.25% VS. 10% Chlorine

May 23, 2017
Houston,TX
Hi all,

Ever since I started the BBB method 5 months ago, I've been using 10% liquid chlorine. I've bought them mostly at Walmart, as they have been cheaper. I haven't bought anything besides 10%. But today I was at H.E.B and I noticed they had 10% liquid chlorine bleach next to 8.25% household bleach and decided to compare the prices. Even though the concentration is lower, the price is significantly lower as well. See the chart below of the places and prices that I've bought liquid chlorine.

Is it even worth it to use 10% liquid chlorine or higher when the 8.25% bleach is so much cheaper?

Looking at the pool calculator, 151 Oz of 8.25% bleach increases the FC from 0 to 4. It takes 128 Oz of 10% bleach increases the FC from 0 to 4. Is this 23 Oz worth the $2 dollar price different?

Walmart
Great Value8.25%$3.47
Pool Essentials10%$3.64
Lowes
KemTek10%3.78
Home Depot
KemTek10%3.78
H.E.B
KemTek10%4.98
Bravo8.25%2.94

I just hit up Lowe's for 10 gallons of Kem Tek. Runs $6.51 for each 2-gallon box, so it comes to $3.25/gallon with my 5% Lowe's card discount. Fresh date codes (packed a month ago), and nice because the Kem Tek plant is about 10 miles away!

Use the pool math app on your phone.
It has a bleach price calculator.
Enter price, concentration and volume and it will tell you chlorine price.
Best way to compare since retailers offer various concentrations and container sizes

I buy surefine brand gallon jugs for $1.29. It's 5.25%.

The other (0.945*gallon) jugs of Clorox costs $3.79. It was 8% last time I looked.

They also had liquid "pool shock" in 4 gallon boxes for $12. It was 12%

The pool shock had an old date on it, so I stuck with the weak stuff.

Thing is, the stronger the concentration, the faster it loses strength, all else being equal. So I figure weaker is better. All summer my surefine %5.25 bleach has been coming up at only half strength when I test after adding.

Do you'll go back and check to see with your test kit how strong your bleach is? I don't know that I've EVER had it be as strong as the label and pool math says it should.

I also feel like I'm being deceived with the 3.78 quart jugs. Do they think I don't know the difference between a liter and a quart? I won't buy them. I don't care what the cost or quality of it is.

I won't buy bleach at Home Depot or Lowes as they store it outside in the sun/heat which weakens it. If your local stores do different that's something to be aware of.

One thing to take advantage of if you *are* buying it from there and qualify is they give 10% discount to active/retired military if you show them your ID card.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.