Can you ID this part?

TFPJules111

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2007
Denton, TX
Anyone know what this is?

[attachment=0:26jnlik2]IMG_3263.JPG[/attachment:26jnlik2]

I found it stuck in one of the return eyeballs.

I've done seal maintenance on the pump, pretty sure it's not from in there.

The valve on the filter is only a couple of years old and works fine, so I doubt it came from there.

The only other piece of equipment is an old Jandy valve, but I'd think if it had broken loose from inside of it, it would have been caught in the inline filter on the pool cleaner line.

Attachments

• IMG_3263.JPG
    IMG_3263.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 204
Stick a ruler in the pic somewhere so we can get an idea of size. The fact that you found in the return tells us that it's smaller than a bread box. :mrgreen: Also give us an idea of the equipment that's in your system. You mentioned a few but a list would be nice.

It's about 1" x 1". Back side looks the same as front side.
The jagged bit at the bottom is where it must have torn off from whatever it was attached to.

The setup's pretty simple. No fountains or water features or heater.

Equipment:
Hayward 300lb sand filter with multiport valve on top
Pentair Whisperflow 1 1/2 hp pump
Jandy valve with "energy filter" on pool cleaner output
3 eyeball returns + pool cleaner fitting
Main drain & skimmer

I re-plumbed when I replaced the ancient cartridge filter a couple of years ago.
There was "T" fitting in the return line with a small port on the side and a capped port on top, as well as some kind of disconnected Ionizer control box that I immediately ripped out (who needs those gimmicks with BBB?) - so the idea about a flow switch may be right on.

No problems with the pool, just curious what this piece of metal was doing in my return.

Thanks for your guesses & insights.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.