Equipment overhaul & need advice

div_0305

Silver Supporter
Sep 6, 2017
Northern VA
My single speed Whisperflo pump is on its last legs due to the previous owner's neglect and improper wiring. The pool company we've narrowed down for installation and pool opening/closing has recommended this VS pump: Jandy's Variable Speed FloPro Pump for $1160 and a Flowvis Meter for $130. Is this a good pump and price? I think we are paying about $200 for install, but the invoice has other labor in there, so I'm not sure. Around here, I could not find anyone who would install equipment that I buy online, so I see there's a general markup over internet prices and I'm not sure how to get around it since I'm not handy and don't have the bandwidth to follow all the amazing YouTube instructional videos out there. I understand why they mark up more than internet prices, but it's hard to swallow paying hundreds more for every piece of equipment. Our general contractor says he thinks he could figure it out and charge us less, but I'm not sure we should go that route.

I'm also buying a Dolphin S300, and I was able to get the pool company to match the price from Marina's for it (I still pay sales tax for buying locally but that's fine). The owner said as a benefit to buying from him, I'd always have his help to service it for warranty purposes, which is a valid point.

The defunct "caretaker" system in the pool is going to be converted to additional returns, which the pool company said will be good for increased circulation and help us if we ever buy a heater down the road. I don't have the price for this conversion yet from the pool company. Does this sound like a good idea or should we backfill the caretaker holes with gunite when we resurface?

If I sell my very new looking Polaris 380, what price do you think I could fetch? Pool company owner thought it was brand new, but I have a receipt from previous owner showing its from 2012. I think they might've not opened the pool each year, and that's why it looks brand new. It will help pay for some of the extra pricing for buying equipment from the pool company rather than online.

The pool company gave me a quote for a SWG, but I'm not sure it's big enough since TFP says to get a SWG for twice the size of the pool. This is the unit and price quoted: Jandy Nature2 Fusion Soft Saltwater Chlorinator + Nature2 System $765 and Jandy Aquapure Power Pack $723. Cost to install $285 plus $100 in additional plumbing. Does the labor sound reasonable? I know the cost of the equipment is a few hundred more $ than online pricing. I will ask if he can install a larger rated SWG, and if I can purchase it online to save $.

Next week I'll be getting a quote for Aquabright. I hope we can afford it since it sounds really awesome. I saw a local TFP person's thread about getting it done, but the user never updated his thread, and I'm not getting a reply back from sending him a private message. It seems the only company near me that installs is over an hour away and did this TFP user's pool from the way they described the pool and job. It would be great to hear from others who've had this applied in the mid-Atlantic and if the product has lived up to expectations.

Noooooooo.....stay away from the Nature2 Fusion gizmos! They add metals to your water and the replacement cartridges are an ongoing expense you don't want. Go for a basic SWG without any bells and whistles like "minerals".

You're welcome. :cool:

Maddie :flower:

I agree wholeheartedly. The mineral systems may be effective to some extent in a laboratory setup, but consensus is that their real world value is nominal at absolute best. I have never replaced a mineral cartridge in a customers pool.

Sounds like you don't have Jandy so why go for the FusionSoft (I have it)? It puts out less chlorine than competitors. I would go with an Intellichlor (they have models rated up to 60k gallons) or something that puts out more chlorine. Check out cell replacement prices and warranty of the cell for whatever brand you decide to get. Jandy's warranties are awful although that particular FusionSoft is 3 years (it is an anomaly as they want you hooked on the expensive consumable mineral cartridges). I do see the pump is the Jandy VSP pump that I also have and do like it a lot. Check with your local utility for a rebate on that pump my electric company gave me a $400 rebate for it.

Thanks all! I'll focus on an Intellichlor when working with the pool company and check for a rebate. That would be great. I wish I could find a pool company that follows TFP recommendations. Does the pricing for the pump and install seem reasonable?

Thanks all! I'll focus on an Intellichlor when working with the pool company and check for a rebate. That would be great. I wish I could find a pool company that follows TFP recommendations. Does the pricing for the pump and install seem reasonable?

It sounds reasonable to me. Not to mention a lot of pool equipment requires "professional" installation for the warranty to be valid. There isn't a lot to do for installation and really anyone handy should be able to do it but I can't imagine a professional doing it for any less as it wouldn't be worth there time to show up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.