Adding bleach and muriatic acid at the same time?

triplets&quads

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2008
North Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I need to raise my FC to shock level and lower my PH. My darling husband just put the bleach in before I could stop him, so now I need to know how long do I have to wait to add the acid to lower the ph?

you can add acid right after the bleach or bleach right after the acid. there is no need to wait, just don't get a bucket and pour both of them into it. the pump should be running for any chemical additions. 30 minutes would be the wait time to start swimming.

reebok said:
you can add acid right after the bleach or bleach right after the acid. there is no need to wait, just don't get a bucket and pour both of them into it. the pump should be running for any chemical additions. 30 minutes would be the wait time to start swimming.
Bleach+acid=chlorine gas, one of the nasty poison gases used in WWI. Once they are in the water they are dilute enough to mix safely, like reebok says, although waiting a little while in between is never harmful. But don't store them near each other.
--paulr

Having done one right after the other, I'd suggest waiting at least a few minutes for the first to get mixed up and carried away by the return you are pouring it in front of. One on top of the other will create a few nasty bubbles that will make you wish you'd held your breath.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.