TA too high, how urgent is this?

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Hi,
I have a question about TA levels in a pool with a vinyl liner. Currently my TA is 130. Is that something I need to correct right away? My testing info is...

FC 7.5
PH 7.5
TA 130
TH 200
CYA 90

I've been bringing the CYA down w/ partial drain and re-fill over the past couple of weeks. It must have been over 150 to start since I have already replaced half the water! I'm also still working on shocking since the levels are not holding overnight yet. The water is beautiful, however so I must be close!

By the way... anyone have a practical use for all these empty bleach bottles? There is no convienent plastic recycling program nearby and we are limited to 1 96 gallon trash can full of garbage per week unless we want to pay an extra fee. I am considering building a privacy wall with them! :wink:

are you sure you're shocking correctly? I would wait to hit it hard when the cya is down more. you also don't need to worry about the TA right now. if you find, after your pool is otherwise balanced, that the ph drifts up often, you can try lowering it, but eventually it will get lower anyway with acid additions.
there is a thread with pictures of empty bleach bottle uses, but I can't seem to find it right now.

zea3 said:
By the way... anyone have a practical use for all these empty bleach bottles? There is no convienent plastic recycling program nearby and we are limited to 1 96 gallon trash can full of garbage per week unless we want to pay an extra fee. I am considering building a privacy wall with them! :wink:
You should check around at your local pool stores to see if any of them sell chlorinating liquid and reuse the bottles (perhaps with a small deposit for the bottle and/or milk carton crate with four bottles). I buy 12.5% chlorinating liquid from my local pool store for that very reason -- the price is reasonable and I don't have to recycle any bottles so it's better for the environment.

reebok said:
are you sure you're shocking correctly? I would wait to hit it hard when the cya is down more. you also don't need to worry about the TA right now. if you find, after your pool is otherwise balanced, that the ph drifts up often, you can try lowering it, but eventually it will get lower anyway with acid additions.
there is a thread with pictures of empty bleach bottle uses, but I can't seem to find it right now.
I've been using the pool calculator for the shock levels. The pool was pretty bad when I started, dark green with a lot of fine particulate suspended in the water. I was using guess strips for the CYA level until I got my TF CYA kit this week. Since we have drought conditions in our area I don't want to drain and fill my pool on a daily basis to get the CYA down quickly and risk the ire of the local authorities! It will take me a couple of weeks to get the CYA where it should be and I didn't want to turn green again so I have been using a lot of bleach. I'm sure the two grocery stores I shop at are wondering why there has been such a sharp increase in bleach sales!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.