Owner build in Peoria, AZ

We moved the rock two shovels and two wheel barrows at a time. We had to bucket rock past the pool equipment and a/c unit because it’s a tight fit on our side yard. It actually took less time then we thought but there was definitely more then enough body pain! We have to put in edging for our grass and then we will lay sod this spring and be done. I’m just very thankful we don’t have an entire yard of dirt anymore!

So we passed inspection and our interior will be done Monday! Can’t believe it’s only been two months since we started. I was sitting down and doing calculations on our costs versus the quotes we got from pool companies. The only thing we changed was from plaster interior to Pebblesheen which was an upgrade. We are saving $4800 off the lowest quote pool company which was one we probably wouldn’t have gone with because they are a small builder and I wasn’t super comfortable with them. Their quote was with plaster and would have cost us more for Pebblesheen so the money saved would have been even more. The company we wanted to go with, as I consider them the best, was $6k more then what it cost us but had acrylic lace decking instead of what we used. The highest quote we got was $14k higher then our actual costs. None of our quotes included our additional decking, only the pool coping. I’m posting this because I know a lot of people have questions about cost savings with owner builds. This is obviously our experience and others might not see the savings depending on how their project goes. I did a lot of research and found every one of our subs actually worked with large pool builders in the area. Overall I’m happy with the savings and the quality of work that was done. It was work for me being in charge of everything but lucky for me I’m type A and made it my goal not to just get a pool built but to also learn how a pool should be built before we started. Would I do it again? Yes! Am I happy we are almost done? HECK YES!! ;)

I added pictures of our finished pool to my album that I posted earlier in this thread if anyone is interested. Just have to prep the ground for grass, install our metal edging and roll sod. Can’t wait to be done with dirt and have a finished yard!

Getting our top soil in the next couple weekends. We already have our metal edging. Cement curbing is really popular in our area but I’m not a fan so we are using a more modern metal for or yard. We have about 1000sqft of grass going in to the left of the pool. We will finish off strong doing it ourselves. Honestly, I know if we do it ourself it will be done right. We still have to put pavers over our existing patio and plant some plants in an area to the left of the pool but the end is near. It will be nice to see my vision finally complete!

We finished! We were going to wait until March to install our sod but it’s been so nice here we figured why wait. We might as well get to enjoy our yard this spring. We busted our butts prepping the area for grass, installing our metal edging and rolling sod. Very happy we were able to make my design and vision a reality. So nice to have everything cleaned up and not be dealing with a dirt yard ever again!! I put up some pictures of our entire yard and pool in my photo link earlier in this post. Another owner build pool and yard in the books!

Thanks Kim! Yes we have been watering it down good. So relieved to have a nice green area for my daughter to run around in! We spent 3 hours pressure washing everything down yesterday to get the pool, deck and patio presentable. The amount of dirt everywhere was awful. Love living in the desert but hate the dirt!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you have to use separate sub for the waterline tile and then the pebble finish or was it the same sub. I've got a shotcrete shell in my backyard at the moment and I'm trying to find subs to do the interior. If you could PM me who you used, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Tnhell, really nice build! Seems like a lot of people ask about the byop approach, but you actually did it and wow...great results! Can you add some pictures of your equipment pad to your album? Some of us geeks enjoy those too, haha.

We bought the pavers through a local company, Preach Building. They are Belgard, so a common brand of pavers. Not every supply company carries them and I found that the price varied widely so I’d definitely price check around! Our coping pavers are 24”x24” all around the pool. The series is Esprit and color is Crema Luna. The plank pavers are 24”x48 and are a wood look pavers series Sundeck color Spirit. Hope that helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.