Timer Question

GregJ

Jun 18, 2009
I have a Hayward 6003T that I just fired up in a new pool. I also have a Hayward 1hp Superpump and an Aquarite SWG that share and circuit through a timer. I have read the schematics and literature, but just want to make sure I am doing this right. The timer will shut off power to the pump and SWG and when the heat pump senses no water flow it will shut off, basically into a standby mode. I tested and get a PS error code, which the manual says is normal for TCO. The 6003T does not have a TCO feature, so the timer will be the "boss" in this installation. I just want to make sure I am not missing something here. It makes me a little nervous leaving power to the heat pump with no water flow. This is an expensive piece of equipment and I DON'T want to blow it......

If somebody could give me some reassuring words, I think I will sleep better tonight when I use the timer or the first time.....

Thanks,
Greg

Bump... :bump:

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will advise shortly - My heater had a warning that the heater should shut off a full 20 minutes before the pump, to allow it to cool properly. IDK if that makes a difference....?

Greg, we just started installing heatpumps last year, so take this with a grain of salt :wink:

Heatpumps are significantly different from gas heaters in that they 'suck' the heat out of the ambient air. As such, even if it tried to keep running with the pump off, they wouldn't be able to get hot enough to damage anything - the flow switch should cut it off when the pump stopped, but even if it didn't, the thermostat would kick in long before any damage was done to the system :)

While gas heaters need (usually) a cool down period before the water stops flowing through them (a fireman's switch) heat pumps don't get hot enough to require one :)

I believe you're all set to go :goodjob:

Ann, you should know d*mned well that we all try to give the best advice we can :-D

It's part of what makes this THE BEST pool site available on the web :cool: We are always there to provide consistent and good advice for the questers, if one responder misses something or is slightly off- there's someone with actual or practical knowledge to set things right :cool:

Hoorah! for TFP! :party: :whoot: :cheers:

Boy, I feel a good night's sleep coming on..... :sleep: Ted, thank you for the logical definition of the real function of a heat pump. It's still a bit of a stretch for a "logical" mind to grasp. It makes perfect sense the way you described it.

FrustratedPoolMom (I love your name :goodjob: ) , thanks for the bump and contribution. As I am stepping into this pool ownership thing, I am realizing that the more I know, the more I need to learn. I really appreciate the contribution from this forum.

Thanks to all... :cheers: ,
Greg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.