How to manage high calcium levels

jeffbg

Jul 29, 2008
I've got naturally harder water to start with -- tested this morning at 220 for CH.

I'd have to drain 20-50% of my pool just to bring my CH into a better situation, and even then, the floor would be 220. I assume it continues to creep up due to evaporation.

Any tips on how to make the best of this situation?

My current numbers are:

FC = 4ppm
CC = 0.5ppm
CH = 480
CYA = 60
pH = 7.8 (added some acid after this reading)
temp = 83 degrees

Thanks!

- Jeff

TA result?

As long as you keep the PH below 7.6 the high CH shouldn't be a problem. I would still recommend you periodically replace 25% of the water to keep it in check, 220 would still dilute your current level some.

Do you have an SWG, your FC is kinda low for your CYA level.

Can you add your pool specs to your sig? Go to User Control Panel, then profile, then Edit Signature.

Reebok! :whip: :wink:

frustratedpoolmom said:
As long as you keep the PH below 7.6 the high CH shouldn't be a problem. I would still recommend you periodically replace 25% of the water to keep it in check, 220 would still dilute your current level some.
Yeah. We are in SoCal in the middle of a drought, so that is going to have to wait until the winter and count on some rain :)

frustratedpoolmom said:
Do you have an SWG, your FC is kinda low for your CYA level.
I do have a SWG, so I should be right in there. Water looks fantastic.

jeffbg,

I have pretty much the same problem. We have fairly high fill water CH and with the evaporation, the pool CH climbs to over 600 ppm by the end of the season. I refill during Feb-Mar because that happens to be when our city moves from well water to surface water. I can use much less water that way.

As was mentioned, keeping the PH in check is the most important thing with TA being next. This should keep scale off the pool.

It is possible to manage CH levels as high as about 1,200 if you have to. They key, as everyone has already mentioned, is to make sure the PH never gets too high and to keep TA levels fairly low. The higher the CH level, the lower you want PH and TA to be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.