Summer pool shut down for 3 weeks, this is what happens.

Jun 24, 2007
Eastern NC
Just wanted to show all what happens when a pool in eastern NC shuts down for three weeks. I got my hands full. The filter needs back washed about every 30 minutes. It goes up 10psi in that short of time. I'm beginning to think D.E. filters are not worth it. Going through a ton of D.E. and Bleach. PH was so high when I started it called for a gallon of Acid. Took seven drops to bring it back to the 7.2 range.

That's about how mine looked before starting the BBB system. I also have a DE filter. When your pool is that dirty it takes a lot of filter cleaning to get all the algae out. The skimmer socks helped to keep a good portion of the scum from getting into the filter, but you have to stay on top of it and clean and change the socks frequently. My sister has an identical AGP to mine except they put a sand filter on theirs. She also had recurrent algae problems this year only they are still doing the pool store thing. She has very cloudy water and they have cleaned and replaced the sand trying to clear it up. I'm hoping she'll be inspired to change pool care systems when she sees my pool! Keep at it! It will be wonderful again soon!

EDIT: Are you opening up the filter and hosing off the grids to clean it? That's what I was doing with mine since the bump and drain method didn't help much.

A day or two after I "opened" my pool my pump blew up. Not only was I without a pump for a week, I hadn't even gotten the pool cleaned up from all the Crud that fell into it off the cover. By the time I installed my new pump, it looked like King Kong had used my pool for a toilet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.