SWG Startup Question

poolneophyte

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2009
Long Island, NY
Hello,

I am a first time pool owner and just finished installing an IG pool with a SWG. I received very little startup support for the pool builder. He basically dumped in 600 pounds of salt, started the filter pump and left. A few days later, after the salt was dissolved, I called him and he told me to set the SWG at 40% and leave it there. I am odering the TF tesk kit today but have been using the Quick Chek Yellow test strips and have not seen any FC level to speak of (maybe 0.5). I have read the Jandy Aqualink manual several times as well as tons of reading on this board and it seems that the SWG is not strong enough to reach breakpoint chlorination on its own. Everything that I have read states that the water has to be shocked first to get the right FC level. I have mentioned this to the pool builder and he said that this is how he does it all of the time. I also asked him if he added any stabilizer and he say he didn't, but would stop by with some. I have since set the SWG up to 75% (at one of his employees recommendations) and still have not seen an increase in FC level. Unfortunately, we have also had a lot of rain and I had to drain a bunch of water out of the pool.

Although the water is clear, I am concerned about the low chlorine levels. I have gotten to the point that I question a lot of what the pool builder says. Where do I go from here to get water with the correct levels?

Did he stop by with the CYA? Is it part of the contract that he balance the water? CYA is critical to protect the FC levels and prevent the sun from destroying it. I would use bleach/liquid chlorine to raise your FC up to 10 ppm today (shock level with 0 CYA) because you probably have organics in the pool since there has been little chlorination. Then your SWG should be able to produce adequate FC, assuming your salt level is ok - but you still need CYA, asap...

Do you know how to use the Pool Calculator?

Read this article:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

You really need to know your water test results. If you don't have a test kit, get a pool store to test your water for you. Better yet, get your own high quality test kit. A top quality test kit will save you time and money, more than paying for it's self.

If there isn't any CYA in the water, your results are exactly what I would expect. Without any CYA, sunlight uses up the chlorine extremely quickly. You won't be able to maintain a FC level until you have CYA in the water. For a SWG, the ideal CYA level is around 70 to 80. You may or may not also need to shock, probably not if the water is clear.

Thanks for the advice. I will be ordering the TF test kit tomorrow. In the meantime, I vacuumed the pool today and the water is still clear. Using the Aquachek Yellow strips, I tested and got a FC level of 0.5, PH of 7.2, TA of 40 and CYA 0. I added two 96 oz jugs of 6% bleach this morning which raised the FC to 3. I checked the FC again this evening and got a reading of somewhere between 0 and 0.5. So, I agree with the need for CYA to be added. I am amazed at how much FC could be lost during the course of one sunny afternoon!

I ran the pool calculator which says that I need to 1.5 96 oz. jugs of bleach to get to a target FC of 3. The Jandy Aqualink manual says the FC level should be between 1 and 3. It also says to not go above 3 because of corrosion of pool metals. The calculator also wants me to 24 oz of washing soda, 14 LB of baking soda and 14 LB of CYA. Also, since the test strips do not have a CH test, I left that as 260 in the calculator. I'm not sure what effect this has on the recommended chemicals.

So, without an accurate test kit, I am wondering what to do first. My guess would be to add the 14LB of CYA and also the 1.5 96 oz jugs of bleach to get the chlorine under control and then wait for the TF test kit to arrive so I may accurately test the water. Is there an order to how I should be adding these things? Should I buy liquid stabilizer which mixes in quickly or granular CYA which can take up to a week to dissolve? I want to get this under control as quick as possible and appreciate any help.

Edit...

Okay, since the water is still clear, and to play it safe, shocking is probably too agressive given this is new plaster. :wink:

So yes, 1.5 jugs (96) or 1 large jug (182 oz) of 6% bleach is a good idea. Keep checking the FC daily to ensure you have adequate chlorine. In the future, disregard the manual recommendation and understand that your CYA dictates what your FC level should be. Refer to the CYA chart.

I would raise the TA with baking soda, 10 lbs. No reason to add soda Ash/washing soda at this time, the BS will do it.

I would target the CYA at 70 - 13 lbs. There is no reason to go to the added expense of liquid - just use the granular. It doesn't take a week to dissolve - it takes a full week to register on tests...

You can add 2 lbs in a tube sock - tie it off in front of the return(s). Leave the pump running 24/7 till dissolved. 24 hours after it has dissolved from the sock(s) assume your CYA level is whatever you targeted, and adjust FC levels accordingly. DON'T retest for CYA for 1 week, as it takes that long for it to register on tests - but assume it's there if you used 95% or higher Cyanuric Acid (check active ingredients - some pool store sell 50% CYA)

Hope this helps... :wave:

Holler if you need clarification...

End Edit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.