My new pool filter is now a spewing fountain...

Jul 24, 2009
My husband is out of town for several days and the new sand filter he put in has turned into a fountain. I am mechanically inclined but since he threw away any paper work that came with the filter, I haven't a clue which parts I should remove and which I shouldn't... because of where the leak is I am thinking there is a seal that has slipped since it just started spewing all of a sudden after several weeks of working perfectly. When I worked on the cars we always grabbed the Chilton manual... do pools have something like that?? Where can I find information on the basic construction of a sand filter?

I cannot (no working camera either?!) but I can describe it... in looking at the filter (A Waterway Clearwater 22" sand filter) - the water is pouring out from between where the round, sand-containing bottom connects to the top section that holds the swiveling control handle. Connecting the two is a one and a half inch heavy plastic (fiberglass?) ring that can be tightened down ( I am assuming to improve the seal between the two components.) I have tried tightening, and loosening/re-tightening the ring but it does not affect the flow of water that seems to be coming from underneath it. (pouring down the sides of the filter.) Which is why I am thinking it might have a seal underneath? that has slipped but before I completely disassemble it, I wanted to do a little research. Any help would be appreciated. :?

If you look here Waterway Clearwater Filter Parts . I believe #5 is the part you need.

You might try taking it apart and cleaning any sand off and putting it back together. If your local pool store stocks them you'd be better off just replacing it.

Here are the manuals for it http://www.waterwayplastics.com/manuals.html. If you look about half way down the page you'll see the sand filters.

edit: Added link for manuals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.