Was going to install a SWG but having second thoughts

Sep 13, 2017
Houston
hi,

I was about to pull the trigger and install a SWG and convert to salt. It's a significant investment. I swear I have people coming out of the woodwork to tell me that i will hate it and that SWGs causes all sorts of problems. I currently have a rainbow320 tablet feeder but I swear it cant seem to keep my FC levels high enough and I always end up putting a couple of CL dispensers in the pool.

So my questions are these:

1. Will a SWG create enough CL if Im running my variable speed pump at about 50 GPM? Do they work ok at low flow? Will it create more CL than my Rainbow?
2. Will a SWG monitor FC level or do I have to tune it?
3. Im worried about salt corrosion. Lots of doom and gloom out there on the interweb about SWG and corrosion. Is this a real concern?

Shane
13K gallon pool. Hayward Variablespeed pump, Hayward C150S filter.

Shane,

I believe that the Titanic was sunk because of saltwater. I swear it is true, because I read it on the internet and it makes perfect sense. It was floating in saltwater and then it sank!! Proof positive that saltwater is evil!!! :p

What a load of bull... feathers... Most problems with saltwater pools are more likely caused by poorly maintained pH levels rather than because of the saltwater itself.

Salt cells do nothing but add a preset amount of FC (chlorine) to your water. The cell is dumb as a rock... You have to test and adjust the cell's output to maintain the chlorine level you want. This is not an everyday event, but I have to adjust my cell's output about once a month or so.. As the weather gets hotter you will need to increase the output and then reduce the output as the weather gets cooler.

I run my pump at 1,200 RPM because it takes 1,100 to close the cell's flow switch. At that speed my filter pressure is only about 2 or 3 lbs... I suspect you are running your pump a lot faster than that right now.

Salt cells are not magic.. if you can't keep your FC up with tablets, then I doubt a salt cell will do any better. It sounds to me like you have a chemical balancing problem with your pool water and not a mechanical issue at all. I suspect that your CYA is well over the 100 mark, making your tablets (and a SWCG) almost useless.

What are you using to test your pool water?

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

swg is the best thing since swimming pools were invented
as mentioned above adjust monthly
no lugging bottles of liquid chlorine aka bleach
no having to add liquid chlorine every night
and none of the problems from using tabs
the tabs you are using keep adding cya until you cannot maintain a high enough chlorine level to suit the amount of cya you have
only downside is slight salt taste to water and if you have high ta your ph will keep rising
when your ta lowers to a sweet spot your ph will stabilize

I switched over to SWG this year and couldn't be happier. My only complaint is that I waited so long. It will take you a while to find the sweet spot for your setup but after you have it figured out then, as Jim says, you will only need to check things about one a month. In my setup I had to add a little muratic acid, to keep the ph down during the hot months this summer. The side effect of a SWG is it increases your ph while producing the chlorine. If you find the balance between TA and Ph then things will stay fairly stable. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend switching over, just make sure you get an SWG at least 2 times the size of your pool, so that you don't over work it.

Why don't you walk about your neighborhood and ask if anyone has ever had or actually seen any damage caused by SWGs? It seems to be a huge Urban Legend in Texas or something.... cause the rest of us in the US *love and enjoy* our SWGs!

Maddie :flower:

I appreciate everyones' thoughts.
I was thinking the SWP stuff was a lot of urban legends as well. I never talked to anyone who had a SWP.. Only people that knew someone..
@Jim -- thanks for your comments. Ive learned so much since finding this site.. The Chem engineer in me is itching to solve my chemistry and now I have a forum of smart people to ask. It seemed like most of the pool people that come around just do everything based on "rules of thumb." I bought the test kit that was recommended on here.. My CYA was sitting at 30 last week but we had a ton of rain lately. I probably need to retest. Im only running my pump at 1500rpms and my filter is at about 5 PSI. Glad to know others are doing the same. I was worried the min flow rate was much higher.

Now that I realize that the SWG isnt smart and just generates a certain amount of CL per day, I am going to figure whats going on.

Thanks for all the free and logical advice.

Hey Shane and welcome to TFP. Get that test kit cracking and post us some numbers.

I find it difficult to believe you have a CYA of only 30 and have been using tabs. Maybe you just did a drain and fill very recently which is entirely possible given you are from Houston. This site has been very active helping those in Houston will pools flooded due to hurricane.

Please also populate your signature so we don't all continue to ask details the sig will have. Saves lots of time.

Shane, the SWG will be the best investment you ever make in your pool. I've had both--over 10 yrs. ago I had a regular chlorinated pool and that's where I first discovered the BBB "pool forum" website. Started using the 3 B's, CYA & MA and it was very easy....never had any major issues with algae or dirty water. We moved to an older house with SWG pool after a 12 year hiatus from pool life and I cannot believe how easy it is. I spend more time, prolly 10 min. per day, cleaning the 2 skimmers out and the only thing I add to the pool is muratic acid to keep pH down. I'm running my SGW at 20% right now because my Cl level is consistently about 5ppm, which will extend the life of it.

The one thing your family will love about SWG's is the way your skin feels....no itchy, dry skin and no smell. And it's really great in the spa, since you don't get the intensified Cl smell from the 100* water. A couple we know with a regular Trichlor tab pool don't use their spa after they got in ours...and are about to add a SWG to their system.
SWG's are definitely the best invention in pool equipment...and you'll be glad you did.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have an SWCG, and I love mine. I previously had a tablet feeder and struggled with keeping CYA down, and got frequent algae blooms. I travel a lot for business, so manually chlorinating with bleach won't work for me. It all depends on your lifestyle, if you can chlorinate effectively with bleach maybe bleach will work better for you. The only time that I've had an algae bloom with my SWCG was when I turned it off while adding salt and forgot to turn it back on, and had 0ppm FC a few days later.

I have to tell you, I love the salt pool, I hate swimming in non salt pools. My neighbor down the street told me the pool installer, same as me, told him he'll regret it. The pool installer told me the same thing but I went against him and did it anyway. I think they just want the chemical purchases. I do a water change in the fall when I winterize along with putting about 20 dollars of salt in and I'm done. In the spring before I take the cover off I open the pipes, turn the pool on for a week and when the cover comes off the pool looks great. Just couldn't be easier. I've not purchased a chemical for the pool in years.

I've not purchased a chemical for the pool in years.

Probably referring to liquid chlorine, tablets, and other products. With me, I always stock up for next year (unless liquid chlorine). Maybe jonjing has a shelf like I do in the basement.

Installing the SWG was the best thing I ever did. Because I manually dosed my pool in the a.m., getting up real early was a habit. This allows me to sleep a little longer. I would highly recommend a sacrificial zinc anode at the pump as Chem Geek recommended.

Sequence of chemicals and possibly any effects on what happened to screws at light. - Page 2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.