Inflatable Pool

Jul 24, 2009
OK, just a quick question. My kids have a 198 gallon rectangular inflatable pool. If the water sits for more than a few days, algae begins to grow in the pool. We have to drain it, clean it, refill it. What a pain. Can you add chlorine to a 198 gallon pool? If so, how much? If not, are there any other suggestions that would help solve the problem?

Thanks so much

You should read pool school a few times. You can use the pool calculator to see how much bleach to add, but you will also need to tell it how much CYA is in your pool to get an accurate number. If you add bleach with no CYA, the chlorine will be gone in a few hours.

Does the pool have a filtration system? If you don't have a way to move and filter the water then I would expect you will still get algae even with chlorine in the pool.

I have tried to use several different chlorine calculators, however none of them give me an amount that small. (for 198 gallons) Most of the tools I have used require that the pool be a certain volume before the calculator will work. Is there anyone out there that can give me a measurment of how much chemical to add?
These are the chemicals I have (from a previous pool)

Multi functional chlorinating granules
Quick desolving Shock
pH increaser
pH test strips

Thanks again for the help.

5 teaspoons of bleach each night (after swimming) should be enough to keep gookies at bay. You'll need a way to "stir" it in so it doesn't settle. That's 1-2 ppm of chlorine each night. I would still dump and refill once a week for filtration purposes. Add it in the evening will give it time to work without the sunlight destroying it - since you won't have any CYA in there to protect it.

What's in the chlorine granules? (active ingredient).

You won't need the other stuff since you'll be dumping once a week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.