I have had an inground, 22,000 gallon pool with an ozone system for a year, and I live in Houston. I have been putting tri-chlor tablets in the chlorinator, with a setting of 2. I have been shocking the pool with two cups of di-chlor every week. Problem is, every weekend when I get my water tested at the local pool chem place, the chlorine reads as 0 ppm and the stabilizer is over 150 ppm. I therefore drained about 2/3 of the the pool, refilled, and the stabilizer now reads 95 ppm, but, even after shocking, the chlorine level still reads 0 ppm. What am I doing wrong? I've read that all chlorine tabs contain stabilizer, and that stabilizer doesn't burn off, so every time I put a tri-chlor tab in the chlorinator, I add more stabilizer. I've also read that the more stabilizer, the less effective chlorine is (which may account for my 0 reading).
Given that my stabilizer is still high, is there a tab that doesn't contain stabilizer (and, if so, what is it called), or should I continue to use tri-chlor tabs, and should I be using a stabilizer free shock instead of di-chlor (and, if so, any recommendations?).
Thanks for any help. This whole stabilizer/chlorine balancing act has been a huge pain.