Furniture to go with the pool... what a pain

shingles

Bronze Supporter
Jun 12, 2017
Houston, TX
Here I thought, picking the color of the Wet Edge was a process... trying to find backyard furniture is even more annoying.

First, why is everything SO expensive. It's crazy to think that real teak anything is a thousand here, a few there. Then... you have to find the right colors and style that matches, etc. O M G...

The only thing I've decided is I am definitely getting one of these:
wrangler1.jpg

It's a Cowboy Cauldron. This one is The Wrangler and is 36" in diameter. I was looking for a fire pit... didn't want one I have to put on my deck. Randomly googling, came across this. They have three sizes. It's beefy, and not cheap. But I can use it as a fire pit and a open fire cooker!

Now I just have to find loungers, dining set, and something to sit around the fire pit. :)

great fire pit!

You keep saying you have to find things that "match"....well, no, you don't! A little decorating bravery allows you to mix and match here and there, and make it all the more interesting. You can buy furniture cheap and have custom pillows made for example. I also believe in buying good quality and spending the money on one or two good things at a time rather than a deck full of dreck. Look at Trex furniture... I bought a few pieces a year and now have three different seating/eating areas with other odd things mixed in.

Take your time. Sales should be starting about now to get rid of summer items. Keep your eyes open. Check out Pottery Barn online sales, LLBean, etc.

Maddie :flower:

Teak isn't cheap but good quality will last a long time. Average the cost over however many years and it's not as painful to think about. Replacing inferior furniture will add up over time, too. Ya gotta pay to play. Overstock carries some but who knows what the quality is.

Check Frontgate out, they have plenty of nice Teak offerings and you can special order cushions to match your decor including Sunbrella fabric. They're having additional 30% site wide which could be substantial figuring a dining set will likely run 3-5K.

Salty

Teak is actually fairly rare as there are only a few large sources for it. It costs a lot for teak lumber typically 5x-10x more than other lumber like oak. Look to white oak for quality outdoor furniture that will last at a much lower price.

In addition to Trex, another product commonly used for outdoor furniture is Polywood. Again, thousands though for a set. We've acquired six Polywood adirondack chairs and few smaller tables over the years. Next year it will be time to replace a 47 year old redwood picnic table and a porch swing. It will be Polywood. This furniture will be with us through our retirement and I'm not that close yet.

Our pool furniture though is hollow aluminum framed sling furniture. I don't expect the slings to last more than 5-8 years for the exposed ones. And that's treating them every few years with a protectant. I did not splurge for Sunbrella. I may go with the plastic chaise commercial style stackables next time perhaps.

yes finding some nice and affordable outdoor furniture was a headache for us.... we were very lucky to find a used set (only 5month old) for a quarter of the price due to sellers having to move out of state. the one we found was bought at Costco for $2k and we scored it for $500... brand new condition included sunbrella fabric... this time of year Costco and sams puts out some very good discounts on their outdoor furniture.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For those that may be interested in the cauldron fire pit, I found a place that's a heck of a lot cheaper. In fact, I wonder if it's the actual company that manufactures it for Cowboy Cauldron.

Titan 41 Cauldron Fire Pit

The 41" version, which would be the "Ranch Boss" from Cowboy Cauldron is $855 vs $3000. The smallest version, 29" version goes for $256 vs $1700.

Thanks for the info. on the Cauldrons.
I wonder if they are also cast iron.
From what I can see they have 2 piece legs, cant tell by the small pics on comparison's
Plus also listed on Ebay, but a little more$, no reviews to go by.
Great price if the same material

Actually neither are cast iron. Cowboy Cauldron says they are sheet steel if you look under "how it's made". I thought it was cast iron as well. I sent the Titan guys a message on eBay about how the material of the cauldron and their response is "grade 50 steel".

The top cap of the two units are different. But if you look under the cap, it looks fairly similar. The way the footing of the legs are welded looks very similar, from the shape of the pads to the two piece footing. Overall it just looks suspiciously similar.

I ordered one from the Titan guys from their website. It looks like they have some positive reviews for the other things they manufacture and sell. I wouldn't take a chance at $3k, but at $855 I thought I'd give it a go. Heck shipping is even free. I will post pictures and reviews when I get the unit in.

Have to read up on the material.
I most likely will go with the smaller version, that's is still a good price in comparison.Most likely think the top cap is different to maybe having the logo embossed of the Cowboy one.Going to look at them again
Wondering about if any difference on the cooking grate
Thanks for the info shingles

Yeah, I think there's a bit of difference in the grates. I agree, I think the top caps are different for logo purposes. The cauldron itself is sized differently (every so slightly) to prevent "complaints" I bet. The main thing missing on the one from pallet fork is that it doesn't have a cover.

I found these guys that can cheaply custom cut an aluminum "cover" for cheap.
6061-T6 and 6063-T5 Aluminum Round (Rod) | Cut 2 Size Metals - ESMW

It's not as nice as the one from Cowboy Cauldron, but it works.

I think at $260ish, it's worth a try, even if it lasts only for 5 years.

Yeah, but it will only last 25 years instead of 100.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.