Switching to SWG. Need advice.

Jun 26, 2009
Clearwater, FL
I've ordered an Intex SWG which will arrive on Monday. I wanted to add the salt on Sunday to be ready to run the SWG when it gets here. I have an Intex 4300 gallon pool. I'm going to Leslie's this morning to get salt test strips. Should I only be concerned with the salt level so that I know how many lbs. of salt to add? Do my current FC and Ph readings have any bearing on how much salt to add?

Thanks,
Joe

Yep, you only need be concerned about whatever salt is in the pool already. FC, pH, TA have no effect on your salt reading.

I would recommend adding a bit less than the calculated amount and let it dissolve, and check again. You can always add more salt to increase your salt level, but to reduce it, you have to drain water.

Test results with TF100:

FC-9
CC-.5
TC-9.5
pH-7.4
T/A-140
CH-470
CYA-32

The instructions on Leslie's stabilizer recommends 2.5 pounds per 10,000 gallons brings up CYA 30ppm. I figure if I add 2 pounds I'll be in the 70+ range.

Salt measures 370 ppm. How many pounds of salt will I need to be in the 3000 range. I guess I can add the salt today to give it 3 days to mix well until the SWG shows up on Monday? Swimming in it will be fine for the weekend, I assume. I'll add the stabilizer in a stocking in the skimmer tonight and run the pump.

Do I have everything about right? TFP is an amazing resource. Thank you all!

-Joe

Ok...I'm slowly dialing things in before turning on the SWG tomorrow. Salt is good at 3100ppm. My CYA is up to 50 after adding the recommended amount of stabilizer. Will that continue to rise since I just added it last night or is more stabilizer needed now to reach 70-80? It completely dissolved from the stocking in the skimmer and I ran the pump all night.

The other concern is my T/A which reads 130 this morning. Pool school says I need to be at 60-90 and says it's "This is IMPORTANT". The calculator says "To lower TA you reduce pH to 7.0-7.2 with acid and then aerate to increase pH. Note: Adding baking soda will also raise your pH." If I read that correctly, since my pH is currently at 7.2, I need to add baking soda to increase pH and it will decrease my T/A. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Joe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lowering TA takes a while, and it isn't critical that it be right before the SWG is turned on. TA above the recommended levels will tend to cause the PH to rise. As long as your TA is high you need to keep an eye on your PH and make sure it doesn't get too high.

Basking soda will increase TA! If you have to raise your PH, use borax. Neither of those are what you want right now. You should follow the directions on lowering TA at Pool School.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.