Opinions on Cleaner please

Jun 14, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
I found a kreepy krauly for sale in my area that is about 1-3 years old.
They are selling it for 100 (but i would like to talk them down)
The one thing wrong with it is the part that goes into the skimmer is cracked, but they said it's still functional and they have used it up till now.

I've been doing a lot of reading on Suction and Pressure cleaners, but still unsure of what to go with.

I dont get alot of leaves or big debris in my pool unless there is heavy wind, most of it i can clean with the hand vac, just looking for an easier less maintenance way of doing it.

Since this is the first I've owned a pool and have not experienced any type of auto cleaner, do you think i would be satisfied with the Kreepy, or should I look at a pressure unit?

Thanks for the input

Your pool is about the right size for a suction side but I wouldn't put a suction side in anything larger.....your's is at the top limit, IMO.

Used cleaners with a lot of parts that wear out, are a cr*pshoot. It may be perfect, it may never perform well for you.

WestSidePool said:
I found a kreepy krauly for sale in my area that is about 1-3 years old.
They are selling it for 100 (but i would like to talk them down)
The one thing wrong with it is the part that goes into the skimmer is cracked, but they said it's still functional and they have used it up till now.

I've been doing a lot of reading on Suction and Pressure cleaners, but still unsure of what to go with.

I dont get alot of leaves or big debris in my pool unless there is heavy wind, most of it i can clean with the hand vac, just looking for an easier less maintenance way of doing it.

Since this is the first I've owned a pool and have not experienced any type of auto cleaner, do you think i would be satisfied with the Kreepy, or should I look at a pressure unit?

Thanks for the input

If your at all technically able then fixing a used cleaner shouldn't be a big deal. The part your talking about is about as easy at it gets.

Pressure cleaners will get you a couple things. First, they won't tie-up your skimmer basket (so you need a dedicated return line). Also you could put a pressure cleaner on a timer and run it for an hour or as needed every day.

That a pretty good deal for $100, you just have to decide if that cleaner is good enough and not regret it if it requires maintenance.

Kevin

If your at all technically able then fixing a used cleaner shouldn't be a big deal. The part your talking about is about as easy at it gets.

Pressure cleaners will get you a couple things. First, they won't tie-up your skimmer basket (so you need a dedicated return line). Also you could put a pressure cleaner on a timer and run it for an hour or as needed every day.

That a pretty good deal for $100, you just have to decide if that cleaner is good enough and not regret it if it requires maintenance.

Kevin

yes i can fix things, and i did realize that would just be a matter of gluing or replacing that part.
I just wasn't sure how good suctions were compared to Pressure cleaners.
They each have their ups and downs, and i've never used either to compare the two.

Just the Pressure are just a little more pricey.

Save your money up for a robot - either a new or a refurb. No pump required either on suction side or pressure side and they just do such a wonderful job. They can be run before you even open for the spring so you don't have to wait for the water level to be raised up to the skimmer, etc.

Actually i just bought me a new Kreepy.
Right now Pentair has a 100 mail in rebate on them.

I just won a brand new kreepy off ebay, and before i bought it I checked with Pentair and they said they honor the receipt and rebate from the ebay seller.
So brand new kreepy for dirt cheap, thats all i can ask for right now without spending $$$ on one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.