Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High CYA count in AZ Summer

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

High CYA count in AZ Summer

Hi everyone!!!!!
    Ok so my client had a a 50 ppm CYA Level and decided to take a h20 sample to Leslies. Why he did this is beyond me. Anyways the say add more cya we live in AZ your wasting CL. Well he buys some and I come back and test and now he has acount of 105 ppm Cya. AWWW #$%^#.
    He used to have a count of 150 ppm for cyabefore I fixed it by draining, but now it it is summertime and draining the pool will crack his pebble tech. Can I drain at one end of the pool while adding fresh h2o to the other end. Or should I leave it be and just start using liqud bleach/chlorine.

Thanks for reading and have a great day,

Eric
    30 y/o 16,000 Gal free form IG by Anthony & Sylvan
    48 sq/ft Hayward Pro DE filter
    1.5hp super pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High CYA count in AZ Summer

Yes, you can add water and drain at the same time, so the water level remains more or less constant. Replacing water this way takes a little more total replacement water to have the same effect, but not too much more. The main challenge is hanging around to keep the fill rate and drain rate more or less the same.

In places like AZ, with a pool that gets direct sunlight all day, we often suggest raising CYA to the 60 to 80 range to reduce chlorine usage.

You can fight algae with CYA levels over 100, but it takes astronomical amounts of chlorine. Lowering the CYA level is a better idea.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Has anyone ever successfully used the sheet method? I've seen in mentioned a few times but no comments on how it went.

refilling-a-fiberglass-pool-t391.html
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I've seen it mentioned for years but no one has ever posted that they did it. I think the reality of handling a very large sheet of plastic successfully by less than 4-6 people may be the problem.

Jason's method of draining low at one end and adding high at the oppposite end is the best bet, I think.

(When Jason first posted that technique a couple of years ago I was quite skeptical and told him so. He provided me some very convincing numbers and converted me. Eating the crow was just a little bitter but he was good enough to cook it with some kind words first )
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Should the pump not be circulating the water for that to work? Trying to picture how it works...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Actually, it takes less water replacement if you don't circulate the water (i.e. have the pump off) when you are draining from one end and refiling from the other. This makes it more like the sheet method where you are always removing the CYA concentrated water. If you were to run the pump and have the water thoroughly mixed, then over time you would be draining more diluted water which requires more water to remove in order to remove the same amount of CYA.

Of course, not having any circulation can be risky for algae growth so one might consider adding some chlorine every now and then to the area where fresh water is being added, just to be extra safe (probably not necessary, though).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Can you drain from the deepend with the pump off? Or would one have to rent/buy a separate submersible?
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

8. Back To Top    #8

If he's got an over flow then he could just add the water to the bottom of the deep end and the top should just drain out. The cooler water from the hose should stay toward the bottom
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Can you drain from the deepend with the pump off? Or would one have to rent/buy a separate submersible?
    Depends on how your pool was built. Mine has a valve to shut off the skimmer and just use the main drain (great for winterizing) but I think I saw a post from someone who had trouble draining their pool because they couldn’t get their skimmer to stop sucking air.

Of course you would probably have to run the pump intermitently. There is no way my garden hose could keep up with my pump.
    20,000 Gallon kidney sort of a sand filtered gunite in ground pool w/ hot tub.

10. Back To Top    #10

I was having a "blonde" moment thinking if the pump was on the water would be going thru the returns...but this would be draining to waste, right? DUH....LOL