Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH keeps rising...

1. Back To Top    #1

pH keeps rising...

Hi All,
    I have a 20k gallon vinyl IG pool and the pH keeps rising. Any ideas as to why? I had to reduce TA and was aerating a lot which is why it was rising in the first place but I stopped that about a week ago and it still continues to rise.
    Here are my particulars

FC-3.5ppm (use a Liquidator with 5.25% bleach)
    CC-0ppm
    CYA-50ppm
    TA-140ppm
    pH-7.8 (was 7.2 four days ago after the addition of some acid)

Thanks,
    Joe
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

2. Back To Top    #2
    I think your relatively high TA is putting upward pressure on your pH. I 'd lower it to something less than 120 and see how your pH trends then.

3. Back To Top    #3
    If you have had any rain recently or lots of swiming that would raise the PH through aeration. I would take the TA down to 80 or 90, or you can let that happen over time as you keep the PH under control. PH can drift around for a number of reasons, though high TA seems the most likely cause here.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    OK, I'll try and reduce the TA further.
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .