30uF capacitor in place of 15uF capacitor

bigkid

Jun 26, 2009
Hi,

My Hayward Super II Pump quit working the other day. I found a melted run capacitor and replaced it. Is there any harm in using a 30uF capacitor in place of what I think was a 15uF one? Replacing the capacitor did not solve the problem, but once I moved the old wires to the motor it fired up and runs now. I will be checking the wires to the pump to make sure they are insulated, but should I get a 15uF capacitor now or just use the 30uF one?

thanks!

You need to get the correct cap size for your motor. Cap size determines current draw and phasing, and too high a cap value can increase current to the motor, overheat, and eventually cause a motor failure.
Is there a cap value specification on the motor nameplate?

I do not see any uF rating on the motor. I went by Leslie pools on lunch and they were not able to tell me what uF rating to get. It is a 1-1/2HP/230v hayward motor from Leslie. I put everything back together and the motor spins too slow and overheats, so I think 30uF is too much? Am I killing the start capacitor now? Thanks for the help!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.