Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 30uF capacitor in place of 15uF capacitor

1. Back To Top    #1

30uF capacitor in place of 15uF capacitor

Hi,

My Hayward Super II Pump quit working the other day. I found a melted run capacitor and replaced it. Is there any harm in using a 30uF capacitor in place of what I think was a 15uF one? Replacing the capacitor did not solve the problem, but once I moved the old wires to the motor it fired up and runs now. I will be checking the wires to the pump to make sure they are insulated, but should I get a 15uF capacitor now or just use the 30uF one?

thanks!
    10,000 gallon pool
    DE filter
    AG pool
    Pebble

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 30uF capacitor in place of 15uF capacitor

You need to get the correct cap size for your motor. Cap size determines current draw and phasing, and too high a cap value can increase current to the motor, overheat, and eventually cause a motor failure.
    Is there a cap value specification on the motor nameplate?
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

3. Back To Top    #3

I do not see any uF rating on the motor. I went by Leslie pools on lunch and they were not able to tell me what uF rating to get. It is a 1-1/2HP/230v hayward motor from Leslie. I put everything back together and the motor spins too slow and overheats, so I think 30uF is too much? Am I killing the start capacitor now? Thanks for the help!!
    10,000 gallon pool
    DE filter
    AG pool
    Pebble

4. Back To Top    #4

If it had a 15 before, you should get a 15 for it.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]