having a bad pool week..couple questions

Jun 5, 2007
Massachusetts
OK, so I guess I was a bit overconfident in my pool savy after all the reading I did on here and I needed to be taken down a peg or two!?! in the last 4 days I had 2 pumps fail and the sand bags for my steps burst :cry:

I'm heading out to the local pool store to replace pump #2 shortly and wondered if upgrading to a 2 speed was better than sticking with the 1speed I have now. the thing is they only have a 2hp 2 speed...right now I have a 1.5hp 1 speed. will I save on electricity going with the 2 speed even though it's bigger? I have a 150sf cartridge filter, can it handle that large of a pump?

Hi, I have a 24' round AG
a 2hp 2 speed pump that I run on low 24/7, except on high when vacuming, it's 6 years old and working great. I have a 150sf cartridge filter. My pump/filter system is "ClearWater" brand, but I don't know if that's still sold. Our elec bill increases slightly in the summer from the use, but not too bad, maybe $10-$15 more a month. We also have a bottom drain, don't know if that makes a difference in the pool but we hardly ever have to vacume. Bummer about the sand. Good luck!

A two speed pump has 1/4 the HP when on low speed. So a two speed 2 HP pump is 1/2 HP on low speed. That will save you money compared to a 1 1/2 HP single speed pump. However, unless you have a spa or waterfall or something similar, both of those are probably way too large. A 3/4 HP pump is generally fine for even the very largest above ground pool.

If two pumps fail in quick sucession it is worth looking around to see if there is something else wrong that might be causing problems for the pump. Is there water getting on the pump housing, debris getting into the impeller, flow blockage, etc?

unfortunately...the store doesn't have a 3/4hp pump. they have 1 & 1.5 single speed and a 2hp 2 speed. unless I just want to toss the old pump (which is now only 2 days old) and spend the money on a new one I have to take what they carry in exchange.

I think the first pump was bad from the start--I had the installers out here twice trying to figure what was wrong with it then it started making some really bad noises this week--called the manf. and they said it had a bad motor and to exchange it under warrenty at store. the new one the store gave me worked fine for a day...had my sand bags burst and had to vacuum up some of that (was able to get alot by hand) after I was done and disconnected the vacuum--went to plug it back in and nothing--dead. so I don't think it's anything here that's breaking them--just bad luck and timing

JasonLion said:
A two speed pump has 1/4 the HP when on low speed. So a two speed 2 HP pump is 1/2 HP on low speed. That will save you money compared to a 1 1/2 HP single speed pump. However, unless you have a spa or waterfall or something similar, both of those are probably way too large. A 3/4 HP pump is generally fine for even the very largest above ground pool.

If two pumps fail in quick sucession it is worth looking around to see if there is something else wrong that might be causing problems for the pump. Is there water getting on the pump housing, debris getting into the impeller, flow blockage, etc?

Amieelynne. don't be in such a hurry to toss or replace that new motor. The key is in what you just wrote - the sand bags burst and you vacuumed it up - there is a chance that the sand has just impeded the impeller! A couple of things to try before you give up on that puppy -- 1 - take a garden hose, open the pump and remove the basket then BLAST the water into the back port of the pump1 this may dislodge the sand which I think may have 'stopped up' the impeller. 2 If that doesn't work, reach into the same back port with a screwdriver and try to lock onto the impeller and get it to turn, work it around a couple of times and it should be good (please!! remember to have the pump off (and be sure it doesn't turn on while you're reaching around in there!!!!)
If these 2 fail, taking the pump apart could solve the problem, it's just too much of a coincidence that after vacing up a bunch of sand, the new motor died - I strongly believe that the impeller is congested! If I can be of further help, never hesitate to ask! :-D

it was sand that clogged the impleller. the pool store guy just about had a heart attack when he opened up the motor and turned the impeller screw with a screwdriver and heard it grinding around in there!!! LOL of course, I was terrified that they would blame me for the break--(yes, technically it was my fault but how the heck are you supposed to get the sand out of the pool if you don't vacuum it out? I did take most out by hand, but really I had to vacuum some.) so when he asked if I had a sand bag burst in the pool I panicked and froze and gave him a confused look...he must have taken that for a no and proceeded to exchange out the pump. I feel sorta guilty, but when I think of all the hassles they have given me since day one with this pool I'll get over it. :slidehalo: 2 months since I bought the pool and I still haven't gotten all the equipment I paid for when I bought it.

here's hoping this new one works for years--and I will never have annother bag of sand in this darn pool. I now have a dozen bleach bottles (the thick heavy clorox ones) filled with sand and sealed to sink under the steps when I get the chance. I'm going to do the quikcrete in PVC thing I saw on here for next year but I needed something in the here and now considering we are deep in the 90 degree weather now.

the new 2hp 2 speed pump is hooked up and running right now...I hooked it up in the dark, so I'm praying that there are no leaks--will check in the morning, I was just so happy to hear the noise of it running that right about now I don't care. funny...I hooked it all up and plugged it in---nothing...unplugged and replugged and still nothing--I was 3" away from crying when I remembered that the 2speed has an off switch!!! LOL just plugging it in isn't enough you actually have to turn it on too :oops:

waste said:
Amieelynne. don't be in such a hurry to toss or replace that new motor. The key is in what you just wrote - the sand bags burst and you vacuumed it up - there is a chance that the sand has just impeded the impeller! A couple of things to try before you give up on that puppy -- 1 - take a garden hose, open the pump and remove the basket then BLAST the water into the back port of the pump1 this may dislodge the sand which I think may have 'stopped up' the impeller. 2 If that doesn't work, reach into the same back port with a screwdriver and try to lock onto the impeller and get it to turn, work it around a couple of times and it should be good (please!! remember to have the pump off (and be sure it doesn't turn on while you're reaching around in there!!!!)
If these 2 fail, taking the pump apart could solve the problem, it's just too much of a coincidence that after vacing up a bunch of sand, the new motor died - I strongly believe that the impeller is congested! If I can be of further help, never hesitate to ask! :-D

FWIW, I had a bag of sand that was leaking under my steps as well, so I ended up getting a couple of 2-gallon plastic gas cans from Wallyworld, filled them up with river rock, added water and bleach to eliminate any air pockets, and used those for weights. I also got some rope and tied to the handles so I can pull them out in the fall without having to get in the water. They fit nicely on the weight shelf. :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thanks to everyone for the suggestions...the new pump is still working (thankyoulord..lol) and I took your advice mike--I supersized it of course, because I am just getting pretty sick and tired of the hassle and wanted to be done with it once and for all :lol: 2 5gal gas cans filled with 120lb of sand, 8 1.5gal clorox bottles filled with about 180lbs of sand....this ladder ain't moving unless we get an earthquake 'round these parts. I did add water to settle the sand and displace air, but didn't add any bleach. shouldn't make too much of a difference for just 2 months right? we'll be pulling them and closing the pool around the first week in september and then I'll have time to work on a permenent solution for next year

MikeInTN said:
FWIW, I had a bag of sand that was leaking under my steps as well, so I ended up getting a couple of 2-gallon plastic gas cans from Wallyworld, filled them up with river rock, added water and bleach to eliminate any air pockets, and used those for weights. I also got some rope and tied to the handles so I can pull them out in the fall without having to get in the water. They fit nicely on the weight shelf. :-D

amieelynne said:
thanks to everyone for the suggestions...the new pump is still working (thankyoulord..lol) and I took your advice mike--I supersized it of course, because I am just getting pretty sick and tired of the hassle and wanted to be done with it once and for all :lol: 2 5gal gas cans filled with 120lb of sand, 8 1.5gal clorox bottles filled with about 180lbs of sand....this ladder ain't moving unless we get an earthquake 'round these parts. I did add water to settle the sand and displace air, but didn't add any bleach. shouldn't make too much of a difference for just 2 months right? we'll be pulling them and closing the pool around the first week in september and then I'll have time to work on a permenent solution for next year

MikeInTN said:

It probably won't make a difference. I added the bleach to mine as a little bit of added insurance against algae forming inside the can. I don't think that would be a big problem, but the thread I got the idea from on the old forum suggested it, so I did it.

DANG!!!! 300 lb's of sand?? Who gets to pull them out in the fall?? :lol:

So it begs the question, how much weight do you actually need to hold down wedding cake steps? We're trying to find the right weights to go in ours and may go ahead and do the can thing too. But we don't know how much weight it would need.

Thanks.

Re:

MikeInTN said:
DANG!!!! 300 lb's of sand?? Who gets to pull them out in the fall?? :lol:

I pay ds to do my dirty work! :twisted: :mrgreen:

The water is frigid when I close!

Cherie said:
So it begs the question, how much weight do you actually need to hold down wedding cake steps? We're trying to find the right weights to go in ours and may go ahead and do the can thing too. But we don't know how much weight it would need.

Thanks.

Did you see this recent thread? The ellerbach.com is by our member, AnnaK:

the-algae-fight-with-drop-in-pool-steps-t13436.html?hilit=ellerbach

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.