Milky Looking Pool After Ascorbic Acid Treatment

Jul 23, 2009
Hi All,

I treated my ( iron stained ) above ground pool ( 10,500 gallons) last Friday evening with 2lbs of Ascorbic Acid and 1 quart Jack Magic Pink Stuff. That night and the next day the pool was absolutely sparkling clear. I followed the instructions from this board, although I probably went a little overboard with the AA because it didn't seem to lift all the stains with just the 1 lb. after I waited a half an hour.
Anyway, the next day I added 5 LB. of Baking Soda to bring up my Alk/Ph. The following day I awoke to a very milky looking pool and has been that way ever since. It is now Thursday. The night before it turned this way I put 2 3" Chlorine tabs in my chlorine feeder and turned it on. This is the only thing I've done to try and bring back the chlorine level, which, suffice to say is still at zero.
I've been running my filter 24/7.
Here are my numbers:

PH-6.8
TA-80
Chlorine-0
Calcium Hardness-40
CA-10
TDS-100
Phosphates-100

Help! Any idea of how to correct the milky/cloudy water and how is the best way to start getting some chlorine to hold? Also, I'm afraid of algae starting to grow. Should I add some algaecide to water in the meantime?

Thanks
Aqua Pro 1100e Heat Pump

Welcome to TFP!

If you haven't already done so, you should add some polyquat.

Some clouding is normal after an ascorbic acid treatment. It usually goes away in a couple of days.

If you haven't already read them, there are detailed directions in this topic.

Thanks. Happy to be here. Informative site.
I understand that some cloudiness is normal for a couple of days, my concern is that it is extremely cloudy, almost like milk, and it's been that way for almost 5 days.
Also would like some info on the best way of bringing back my chlorine. Thanks!

Well, I might have found out why the pool is not clearing. There is no or very little pressure coming from my return. I backwashed a few times and tried troubleshooting over the phone with my pool service. They are coming in the morning. He thinks it might be a broken multiport valve. I'm thinking the sand needs to be replaced. Anything else that it could be?

There are various places the flow could be blocked: skimmer basket, pump stainer basket, filter, multi-port valve, blockage in a pipe, pump impeller blocked, etc. You should check all of the ones you can get at easily.

Presumably the lack of filtering explains why the water wasn't clearing up.

So, pool service came this morning and the filter is now working fine. However, they didn't do anything except backwash with the backwash hose disconnected. I backwashed twice yesterday with no effect. Not sure if that helped or just coincidenatal and I have an intermittent problem.

So my pump is still up and running good the next day. Still can not get a chlorine level!

I have three 3" chlorine tabs in feeder and is turned to 8. Can anyone please tell me the best way of getting my chlorine back? It's been 8 days since my AA treatment.

Thanks.....

Use bleach/liquid chlorine. Don't use pucks.

Use the Pool Calculator to determine how much to add.

You would want to dose to the "min" level for your CYA on the chart.

So add that much bleach, wait an hour, retest, if it's zero, add that much again. Keep checking and adding that much bleach hourly until it starts to hold - if you see staining, add more sequesterant.

Yes turn off the feeder...do you know your CYA level?

6% is fine, or 12.5% if you can find it for a good price, I use both, lately the Pool Store's price on the strong stuff has been cheaper so I've been getting that.

With pump running, pour it slowly into the return flow, so that it doesn't splash. (It helps to float the jug in the water while pouring, less splashing.)

Do you know how to use the Pool Calculator?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
normal bleach should be 6%. if you can get liquid chlorine from the pool store it will probably be a better deal. if your cya is still 10 that's part of your problem. you can keep the pucks on for now, but I would recommend adding cya to get to about 30 and stop the pucks when you get to 50.

The CYA 0f 10 in my original post was accurate. I thought that I reposted my new CYA level ( which looked like it was 100 , but, I retested) in response to frustratedpoolmom . Guess it didn't post.
Aqua Pro 1100e Heat Pump

The problem with the test strips is they are particularly inaccurate when it comes to CYA levels.

When I used to go by the strips, they always read my CYA at 30-50, and in reality my CYA was well over 100.

Have you had the water tested recently at a pool store, to compare their CYA Results?

You need an accurate reading so you can properly maintain your FC - without really knowing the CYA your kinda guessing at this point.

I highly recommend you ditch the strips and invest in your own test kit. :wink:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

The key thing, when starting to add chlorine after an AA treatment, is to add only a little at any one time and to keep an eye out of the first signs of staining and add more sequestrant the moment you see any sign of stains returning. You only want to add 1 or 2 ppm of chlorine per hour at first.

The FC level most likely won't hold at first. It may be a much as a few days before you can maintain a FC level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.