Winter cover questions

JimMarshall

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 5, 2017
Oil City PA
Sadly, even though it's 85 today here in NW Pa, next weekend has highs in the 60s, and I know that it's time to start thinking about shutting off my heater, and closing the pool. I don't have a winter cover, the previous owners of the pool had one but in the spring it was pretty well trashed. I was looking at inyo. Is the 20 year cover worth the extra money over the 15? Do I need a pillow? Do I need any other accessories? Will the cover come with the cable and tightener to install it? How many weights should I have on hand?

Also have a question about the skimmer. In the big box of pool stuff I inherited with the pool was a device that you screw into the bottom of the skimmer to absorb the expansion of the ice freezing to keep the skimmer from cracking. What is the purpose of this device if I'm draining the pool to 6 inches below the skimmer/eyeballs?

Jim, I don't know if the extra cost is worth it for the extra 5 years. YES on the pillows & yes for the cable and winch. if you are draining the pool below skimmer and return ports then you dont need the slimmer guard, it's only used if you are not lowering the water level. Hope this helps

Sadly, even though it's 85 today here in NW Pa, next weekend has highs in the 60s, and I know that it's time to start thinking about shutting off my heater, and closing the pool. I don't have a winter cover, the previous owners of the pool had one but in the spring it was pretty well trashed. I was looking at inyo. Is the 20 year cover worth the extra money over the 15? Do I need a pillow? Do I need any other accessories? Will the cover come with the cable and tightener to install it? How many weights should I have on hand?

Also have a question about the skimmer. In the big box of pool stuff I inherited with the pool was a device that you screw into the bottom of the skimmer to absorb the expansion of the ice freezing to keep the skimmer from cracking. What is the purpose of this device if I'm draining the pool to 6 inches below the skimmer/eyeballs?

I would not bother with the 20 year cover. I live in NEPA and I am happy if I get 3 years out of a cover. But I live on top of a mountain with some decent winds. It should come with a cable and winch. I have never used a pillow in closing my pool but I go out and drain most of the water off my cover whenever I can. The only other thing I do is fill some old bleach bottles 2/3 full and tie them to the cable to help keep the cover down in case of high winds. I have no idea about the plug because my pool has a cover for the skimmer door. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions just ask.

I would not bother with the 20 year cover. I live in NEPA and I am happy if I get 3 years out of a cover. But I live on top of a mountain with some decent winds. It should come with a cable and winch. I have never used a pillow in closing my pool but I go out and drain most of the water off my cover whenever I can. The only other thing I do is fill some old bleach bottles 2/3 full and tie them to the cable to help keep the cover down in case of high winds. I have no idea about the plug because my pool has a cover for the skimmer door. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions just ask.

Whats the advantage of using the door/ plug? Just saving 1,000 gallons in the spring?

Pillows or inner tubes work well to keep the middle of the cover from sinking down into the water. Tie it off to the sides to keep it in the middle. You do want to leave some water on top of the cover to help keep it from blowing about in the wind. The wind is good at ripping and tearing & putting little holes in the cover.

Don't bother spending the extra on the cover unless it's a small premium. You wont get more than 5 yrs out of either one. Probably more like 3-4 yrs unless you have no wind. Make sure the cable goes over the skimmer, not under it. You don't want the skimmer to be ripped off if something happens.

I drain the water about 6-12" below the return. As water accumulates on top it will push the water inside the pool up (under the cover). Kinda like getting into the tub raises the level. Leave the skimmer and return eye unplugged. You want the water to be able to escape if it needs to. Let the water pour out on the ground instead of freezing inside the skimmer or eye. You don't want this to happen

You didn't ask, but I bring the equipment (filter & pump) inside. Drain your heater and filter completely and leave it unplugged (plumbing) if you leave it outside. Cover all with a tarp to protect from the elements.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.