Testing Pumps

Mike_P

Jul 23, 2009
Rochester, NY
The motor in my pump (paired with a DE filter) died the other day. I have another pump (that's paired with a Sand Filter) I inherited when my brother in law dismantled his pool. I'm not sure if it still works, but I'd like to test it out before I buy sand and fill the filter up. Is there a good method for testing a pump to see if it works? Is there harm in just hooking the whole thing up to the skimmer and letting it backwash out of the filter and not send it into the return? I know I could probably just buy a new pump, but if I don't have to I really don't want to (not at this time at least).

I have a 20' above ground round.

Thanks for all your help.

The DE filter's intake from the pump is on the bottom of the filter. The outflow from the pump to the filter on the sand filter's pump leaves through the top and there's little room to get it to go from one to another. I could try to jury rig it, but the connections don't line up.

It's a Hayward Perflex DE filter. That link goes to a picture of kind of what it looks like. The Sand Filter is a Hayward GM Series. I can't find a picture of that, but I'll take some pictures when I get home to show you what I mean.

Do you know what type of pump it is? If it's a thru-bolt style motor then you can rotate the impeller housing 90' to (maybe) match up with the DE filter. You can connect the new system without the filter tank, just running the pump through the multiport on waste, or recirculate it back to the pool.

Welcome to TFP!!

You could always just put the filter up on a couple of cinder blocks and use a SP 1485 union to connect them :wink: (* note- there are a few different 1485s available, find one that's right for your height difference - or just make your own with sch 40 pvc and a union :idea: ) Oh yeah, you'd need to extend the return line up - but that's really simple plumbing :)

spishex said:
Do you know what type of pump it is? If it's a thru-bolt style motor then you can rotate the impeller housing 90' to (maybe) match up with the DE filter. You can connect the new system without the filter tank, just running the pump through the multiport on waste, or recirculate it back to the pool.

It's a Hayward Pro Flo Series. 1 HP and 115 volts. The outflow on the pump is perpendicular to the ground and on the opposite side of the pump from where the filter would sit.

Is there a general recommendation between sand and DE? The pool came with the house. The first pump/filter I had for the pool (died within a month or so) was a sand filter, so most of my experience is with the Perflex DE filter.

Thanks for the welcoming and the advice. I feel like I fight with the pool every summer and I feel like I lose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.