Tree Frogs

May 26, 2009
I was curious if anyone else has or has had the same problem I am having. We moved into the house last year (forclosed HUD home) and the pool was a swamp and home to many bullfrogs. Before the liner was replaced, to the joy of my daughter, I scooped out all the bullfrogs after the water was drained. On top of the bullfrogs, the pool was a breeding ground for gray tree frogs as well. When the pool was built, the concrete was poured too soon as the ground hadn't settled yet, so there is a little bit of lifting of the concrete in some spots. This makes a nice little crevice for the frogs to live in. The first week of opening the pool, there were frogs all over the place on the solar cover at night. I scooped as many as I could each night and took them down the street to a creek. Took about a week but I got all of them.

Last night I went out to put the cover on, and sure enough, I had 2 frogs back. One was actually swimming in the pool! Now, I'm all for protecting wildlife, and I don't want to harm the frogs, but I don't want to swim with them at night either. Does anyone know a solution to keeping them out of the pool?

I have the same problem and haven't come up with a solution either.

However, I do know that chlorine is toxic to them. I've occasionally scooped some small ones out of the skimmer that have died. I tell the live ones the water isn't good for them when I get them out and then put them in my neighbors pond. But they don't listen and seem to prefer my sparkly pool to the murky pond. :(

Heck, why not swim with them? They're cute (in an amphibious way) and don't bite nor attack.

If you really wanted them gone, put a snake in the pool (they're ~cute in a reptilian way :p ) and will keep the frog population down.

If it were me, I'd rather share the pool with a frog than with a snake! :lol:

Just be thankful it's not 6" salamanders :mrgreen:

I have a swamp behind my house i get frogs/turtles in my pool. I scoop em out put em in a bucket and drive em south down the road a 1/2 mile. It stops them for a few days but they seem to find their way back like a ol blood hound.Some times we just swim with them we dont care any more.

I can't help but wonder if floating a rubber snake in the pool would deter them? A lot of folks around here use plastic owls to deter smaller birds from doing 'bomber runs' on their pools and keep mice, chipmunks and moles from going swimming :)

Just thought I'd proffer the idea :wink:

waste said:
I can't help but wonder if floating a rubber snake in the pool would deter them? A lot of folks around here use plastic owls to deter smaller birds from doing 'bomber runs' on their pools and keep mice, chipmunks and moles from going swimming :)

I can understand the plastic owl deterring the birds, but it deters chipmunks too? If so, I'd really like to try it because I'm tired of fishing out dead chipmunks :(

Thanks for your replies. I didn't think there was much I could do, but just curious. I like having the frogs around. Lets me know the environment is good, they eat bugs, but I don't want to swim with them. That frog hotel ideal looked interesting. I haven't done much night swimming so it's really not a big deal. I was also worried the chlorine would be bad for them, and hope to keep them out for their own sake.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.