PH off the scale in new pool

May 23, 2009
According to all the information I have found in this forum and Pool School as well as the information left behind
by our pebble tec installers, we should be concentrating on keeping the PH down around 7.2 and getting rid of
plaster dust by using alot of acid. Also all of the info indicates, we should not be adding chlorine until the initial acid start up is finished and the ph and akalinity are brought to normal levels. Well the first thing our PB did was add chlorine. My ph is showing 8.4 on the test strip, which is the highest on the strip. I'm guessing that that means it could be even higher. When I asked the PB if we were supposed to get the PH right before adding chlorine, he said that everyone has their own way of thinking on it. Is this going to end up doing permanent damage to my finish?

As long as it's been 30 minutes since chlorine was added, you can lower the PH with muratic acid. Yes, it should be kept in check. But you should discuss this with the builder and come to an agreement. You don't want to do anything to void his warranty.

When you say PB is that Pool Boy :mrgreen: or Pool Builder? If it's Pool Boy, I wouldn't listen to him at all. What other chemicals beside chlorine have been added, if any? How much and what did he add?

Which startup method did your builder use? How many days has the pool been full?
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_plaster_start-up

You need one of the recommended kits. Its the best investment you can make to protect your investment.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

It's the pool builder. I don't know what start-up he is using. Getting any info has been like pulling teeth. When I asked him what he had done so far, he replied, "We added a little liquid." Eventually he told me that he likes to slowly add chlorine first, so the water doesn't turn green. Then they go with the acid, then stabilizer.
The pool was finished filling, Sunday afternoon. Tuesday they started adding chlorine and I think some more yesterday. I did find one empty gallon of acid, I don't know if that went in or not. I don't know why at this point you would even add just one gallon. I'm just worried because the info left by the pebble tec installers said to keep the ph at 7.2 and not to raise it too soon.

Yes, I'd agree this is a concern, and I'd raise these issues with him. After all, it's his warranty that he has to uphold, so if he wants to redo the finish because he screwed up....then again, it's your water you paid for, right?

As long as the chems aren't added at the same time there is no reason not to add acid. 30-60 minutes in between additions is plenty of time to wait, PH should not be allowed to sit that high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.