Maintain Excavation Site Integrity Following AG Pool Removal & Storage

Sep 12, 2017
Nashville, TN
I live in Middle TN and Intex suggests that I store my AG pool over the winter because of the prospect for below freezing weather. I'm prepared to do that; however, I had 3/4s of my backyard professionally excavated in preparation of pool assembly. I had an area approximately 16' x 26' laser leveled and excavated, with 2" of sand installed and leveled ($$$$) by a professional (that builds golf courses) prior to laying down the ground cover and installing the AG pool on top of that. I hope I am explaining it well. In any case, once I disassemble and "fold up" this 12 x 24 AG pool and store the pool, pump and filter inside, how can I "protect" this large area's (covered with 2" of sand) integrity for next season? Approximately 1/4 of my fenced-in backyard is landscaped and what grass is left is used by my 2 dogs (if you know what I mean). This excavated area is 4" and 8" in some areas below the level of the rest of the yard and the aggregated surface back patio. I entertained the thought of covering the sand with a huge tarp and bringing in 2 cu yds or more of mulch to cover it, but that will be a huge mess to clean up next season. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Are you sure your winters get cold enough to require taking your pool down? I know people in MN that leave their Intex pools up all winter.

I am not sure you would ever even have the pool freeze ... and if you ran the pump a bit during the coldest periods, that would prevent freezing as well.

I called Intex to ask about closing my pool for the season. I answered the customer service rep re temperature that it was certainly possible that Nashville, TN weather could reach less than 20 degrees Fahrenheit. She told me that if the weather reached below freezing, that Intex recommended take down of the pool and inside storage to avoid cracking or splitting of the vinyl interior. But your're telling me that AG pool owners in MN don't take down their Intex AG Pool? Really? What do they do to prepare for the freezing winter weather?

I had an intex for 2 years, I left it up in NY. It's a real pain to keep the integrity of the sand with rain and wind etc. Just drain the pool below the returns and leave up in the winter...... The entire pool won't freeze just maybe a few inches on the top level

I leave mine up year round up here in Canada, minus 30. In about 8 weeks I will have a 24 foot round hockey puck in my backyard.
I drain it about 6 inches lower then my skimmer inlet, I water the grass with the water.
Drain and blow out solar panels and hard piped supply/return lines to the pool.
Put on cover.
Bring pump, 6 way sand filter valve and salt cell inside to the basement.
Oh yes I add a couple of quarts of bleach before the cover goes on as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.