Dumb questions from newbie...

Sep 19, 2017
Cave Creek, AZ
Hello Everybody,

I want to give more attention to my pool and then I became a newbie to the group.

My water is a little bit green but it is clear. After read several articles I think I need to SLAM my pool to kill all the algae. But my CYA result is 80(maybe more), I just changed my water in this March and was wondering why it gets this high? And according to the PoolMath, I have to maintain target FC as much as 9-11, which cannot be scaled by the K-1000?

Kindly advise if I misunderstood concepts...please.

Welcome to TFP

In order to SLAM you need an FAS-DPD chlorine test. Around here they recommenced the tf100 kit found on tfstetkits.net or the taylor 2006c found just about everywhere. Once you have a proper test kit then we can verify your FC, CYA and everything else needed to SLAM

in the interim you may want to add some liquid chlorine or bleach to see if it helps around a half gallon to start

Hello Everybody,

I want to give more attention to my pool and then I became a newbie to the group.

My water is a little bit green but it is clear. After read several articles I think I need to SLAM my pool to kill all the algae. But my CYA result is 80(maybe more), I just changed my water in this March and was wondering why it gets this high? And according to the PoolMath, I have to maintain target FC as much as 9-11, which cannot be scaled by the K-1000?

Kindly advise if I misunderstood concepts...please.

Are you chlorinating with pucks? If so, that's why your CYA is high

Welcome to the forum.

When using Dichlor, for every 10ppm of FC, you also get 9ppm of CYA. If your pool is using 3ppm daily, approx every 3 days you have added 9ppm of CYA. The CYA will continue to build up, and in a month and a half you are seeing CYA levels close to 100.

Welcome to the forum.

When using Dichlor, for every 10ppm of FC, you also get 9ppm of CYA. If your pool is using 3ppm daily, approx every 3 days you have added 9ppm of CYA. The CYA will continue to build up, and in a month and a half you are seeing CYA levels close to 100.

So there is no way but draining to decrease CYA level? Truely don't want to drain half year old water.........

So there is no way but draining to decrease CYA level? Truely don't want to drain half year old water.........

Yup, unfortunately, the only way to decrease CYA is with water change. To reduce CYA by 50%, you need to drain and replace half of your water. I hate to say it, but dichor is the worst way to add FC to your pool. As said, it is basically 1:1 ratio of FC to CYA.
You can maintain the proper FC using a CYA of 80ppm if you don't want to drain. The daily loss of FC will be lower at a high CYA, but the overall FC level will need to be maintained per the [FC/CYA] CHART[/FC/CYA] chart. And if you ever have an algae out break, the SLAM level is much higher. It can be done however.
Going forward, only use bleach, regular, unscented. It is the same stuff available in the laundry section of your favorite store. This will prevent CYA from increasing further. No more solid variants.

As already mentioned, the only reliable way to lower CYA is to drain. This is why we discourage the long term use of solid forms (granular or tablet) of chlorine.

By using bleach (liquid chlorine) all you add to the pool is chlorine and a bit of salt.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.