Need some pool style help

Jul 9, 2009
Iowa
I have an intex 18x48" easy set but the down side to the easy sets are they taper up and in so water surface area is like 14' 7". Found an intex metal frame 18x48" used 1 season and a good price 300 might get for 250-275. But I don't know if I should buy for next year or not. anyone had both or people with one post commets as well. Thanks for all your time.

fordman said:
I have an intex 18x48" easy set but the down side to the easy sets are they taper up and in so water surface area is like 14' 7". Found an intex metal frame 18x48" used 1 season and a good price 300 might get for 250-275. But I don't know if I should buy for next year or not. anyone had both or people with one post commets as well. Thanks for all your time.

Get the metal frame pool...the ring pools are horrible...They are hard to take care of and While sturdy...you gotta have totally flat ground.

well this is the reply I got back from the seller after I ask is in good shape.

It is in good shape, it had one small hole that was patched with the patch kit included when we bought it. It was used all summer after it was patched and never leaked.
My sister has it stored at her house because I have moved and do not have any place to set it up or store it. She had it set up last year and it was still in good condition. When she packed it away she did not clean the liner as well as I would have liked so if you are interested I am willing to drop the price to $250. It is easy to clean. It will just need to be set up and cleaned with a regular household cleaning product and water before it is filled. I have always just used diluted bleach water to clean it.

I have had both, now have the Ultra-Frame.
Easy-Set- Plusses -easy to setup, can drain and refill w/o to much cost.
Minuses - smaller than you think, b&*ch to clean, terrible to take down and dry. Ugly!
Metal-Frame - Plusses - bigger. easier to clean, easier to dry (after empting, we just put the legs
up on lawn chairs, sprayed the bottom and let it dry!)
Minuses - harder to setup and take down, have to store poles and pieces, heavier.
Ugly! (I do not like the blue color, stands out like a sore thumb)
Ultra-Frame - Plusses - deeper water, and it is not that ugly blue!! heavier fabric.
Minuses - it still needs to be taken down and setup every spring and fall.
Is it worth it to upgrade to the metal or ultra frame? YES!!!
This is what I use to search the local area for stuff -http://www.searchtempest.com/.
Sometimes when making a larger purchase it saves $ to drive a little bit.
Good Luck!
Mike

WOW mcoonan now thats what I was looking for in info. And to throw another twist into the mix using your link found a 24x52" perminant pool about 2hours away with everything for 200. Most likely needs a new liner but would have all winter to get one and set up next year. Might have to go with the bigger one now.

3kc3p93l8ZZZZZZZZZ97l975bc1902b96121b.jpg

i would go with the metal frame. i leave my up year round wiht no problems. it is the same as any other above ground pool, i don't care what anyone says. same care, cleaning, etc. as far as being ugly...i have yet to see an above ground that does not stick out like a sore thumb. if it is in your back yard who really cares....It's A Pool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i have the intex 18' x 48" and it's the right size for my needs. only advice I can give is to be sure to upgrade the pump and filter when you can. the ones with them do not last long. i am in the process of going to a sand filter set up.

have fun and get wet!

Anything in paticular to ask about the 24' pool? emailed them and asked for more info age brand and so forth. here is the ad from craigslist (Swimming pool 24' diameter, 5' deep- all accessories included: pump, filter, ladder, automatic vacum,solar cover, winter cover, and chemicals. Perfect for a backyard pool party!!)

K5ranger is correct about the pump/filter that comes with an Intex, they are barley usable. An upgrade is necessary. But if you search on CL, local paper and ebay, you can get a replacement.
About the 24' AG that you found on Craigs list, I would also ask about the pump/filter size and hp.
I have been told that anytime you remove/move an AG pool, you must replace the liner, I am not sure if that is 100% true, it might depend on the age.
But if the pool, pump and filter are in good shape, $200.00 is an excellent deal.
Mike

I all ready updated my orignal filter pump with a bigger older intex one and am in the process of upgrading to a sand filter. Bought a used 1hp power flo lx but when got it going bad pump seal good thing I only gave 50 for it. Now looking for a filter unit. Man it bugs me when people post a product and never reply to your e mails. Haven't heard from the 24' pool guy but the intex 18' x48" one took my offer of 200. Would like to get the 24' one if I ever hear from them.

Unless you plan to install an expandable liner (you WILL need to buy a new liner no matter what, once drained, they cannot be refilled/used) - you will not have a 5' deep pool. It is either 48", 52" or 54" wall height - water depth will be less than the wall height.

Go for it, but make sure you get a chance to look it over well - look for rust, make sure all equipment works, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
yeah even the one year old liner would be hard to line back up. Have done a little research on the perminant pools. Thats why I liked the price with a new liner would be a good price. I guess it is just a wait and see if they reply to my e mails.

well the 24' pool has been sold they replied to my second e mail. Good thing I called on the metal frame one going to get that tomarrow for next year. But will have to set it up this year just to see how it looks.

Sorry this is a little late for you since you already bought the used pool, but this might help some else or you if this deal doesn't work out...

We bought our pool at the end of season sale at Target. My wife kept calling them until the price was reduced as far as we felt it would go. I don't mean to make you feel bad, and we did get an extra super deal, but we paid considerably less than your used pool, sorry :oops:

We kept our pool up this last winter and it did great. I'm in the process up changing all the plumbing, new pump and adding a solar panel. :-D

Mike

So how cold does it get in CA in the winter? Around here or target isn't very big and our walmart sells out of the big pools quick. Mainly 12' blow up easy sets are all thats left at thhe end of the year.

I live in the foothill of the Sierra Nevada, 2500ft elevation. Winter is pretty mild, sometimes down in the 'teens, but average is above freezing. The pool never froze and our climate never would.

We were really lucky to get this pool :party: Never have seen them again at what we paid and it took two years to find this one! We bought this in September 07 and put it up last summer.

I think you'll like the pool (it's wet and refreshing :lol: ), but as it's been said the pump and filter are not very good.

Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.