Cheap Chinese Variable Speed Pump 1.5HP

P,

Thanks for posting... It will be interesting to see how your choice turns out.

What made you choose this pump over one of the well known brands. I realize it is much cheaper, but I would have been thinking "too good to be true"... if I was the one buying.

Please keep us up to date on any issues..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Four reviews on Amazon and two say the pump died already. Doesn't look promising.

Dave,

Keep in mind that you only have one side of the story.. Is that two pumps died out of a total of four that were sold, or is it two died out of 10,000 sold???

I'm not much of a fan of on-line reviews.. Good ones are often paid for as most people only find the time to post when they are not happy...

Thanks,

Jim R.

P,

Thanks for posting... It will be interesting to see how your choice turns out.

What made you choose this pump over one of the well known brands. I realize it is much cheaper, but I would have been thinking "too good to be true"... if I was the one buying.

Please keep us up to date on any issues..

Thanks,

Jim R.

It seems like a low risk to save $400+.

We'll see, I expect 15 years of constant use. I marked my for calendar for 2032.

Anything less will be a disappointment. :crazy:

It seems like a low risk to save $400+.

We'll see, I expect 15 years of constant use. I marked my for calendar for 2032.

Anything less will be a disappointment. :crazy:

My utility offers a $400 rebate for a VSP pump as long as it is on the list. This one is not!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pump seems to have a lot of restrictions. It won’t hold programming without constant power, can’t be used on a pool pad more than 15 feet from the pool, etc.... Still, for half the price of a comparable brand name pump, and with a third party extended warranty, one could justify giving it a try.

“IF your existing setup has an external timer, please bypass the timer. Running any Variable speed pump on an external timer will cause the program to clear out and you will have to re set the pump every day. Ideal for pools 20x40 (Not recommended for pools with waterfalls/attatched spas/ etc) Pump needs to be hardwired into local 220 power source. DO NOT wire a plug to this pump. DIRECT WIRE only. Can be plumbed up to 15 feet away from the pool (filter pads that are further away than 15 feet shouldn't use this pump) Factory pre-programmed for consumer friendly installation . Works on 220V only! Please test your Line prior to purchase, voltage of the line must read between 220V-250V with a volt meter. Anything higher will void the SPLASH PUMPS warranty“

Based on what is stated in the listing, part of which I quoted above, that would void the warranty.

I worked for 25 years making stuff in China. Made for another 15 here in USA first. Our stuff was pretty darn good out of China. Just can't go and say, "make this" and make it at this price. You will often get junk. You have to really work with them, have a person there in the factory if not all the time, at least often when they are making your product. that person has to understand the product and what is acceptable and what isn't. If Hayward or someone else is trying to be proactive and has QA folks there often, they might well get an excellent product and value. If they push for cheaper constantly, changing factories to get something cheaper, they will get it cheaper, and the it will be worth just that, (worthless). Go with the higher end contractors and be fair in your dealings and you will likely do well. They certainly aren't dumb. They can and do make some very good stuff. Often the reason something fails is because some subcontractor supplies a part that is not up to spec, and the prime doesn't figure that out. If the price is a bit more reasonable, they might not go to a sub at all.
I'm looking at some pumps offered for sale here by some pool companies, (no names,) that are variable speed, brushless, (DC) and they are asking ~$900 for the pump and controller. I've found that same pump offered by the Chinese manufacturer, (same everything, including the 3 year warrantee) for $400 for 1 piece. ($150 if you buy lots). It is tempting. I could buy a couple and still be cheaper than the one offered here.
The advantage of buying one from a larger outfit here is hopefully being able to contact the supplier if and when problems occur. If it works for 5 years you might have gotten a pretty good deal. In 5 years there might be something much better around.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.